Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Treating a fish just introduced to a new tank

I just introduced my two Bettas to their divided 14gal tank just about 3 days ago. I noticed last night that I think one of them has a torn fin. Its the one that hangs right under their head. I think he got tossed but the outtake of the filter and wasn't expecting it. You almost don't notice the tear, its on the very outside of the fin and I don't think he's biting again.

Anyways would anyone recommend taking him out and giving him a salt treatment? He loves his new home and it still getting used to it and I don't want to stress him out more by taking him out for a week and then putting him back in. He usually likes to swim into the current of the outtake I just think it was a little strong for him. I have the intake wrapped in like 6 layers of panty hose. It didn't slow it down too much so I'm just waiting till is gets enough particles stuck to it to slow is down. He seems perfectly normal and is very active.

So would it be okay to leave him in? I have been changing the water about every two days. Either 50% or a whole 100%. Mainly because I'm not too sure on the amount of water changes and I'm still in the habit of doing it when they were in one gallon bins.

But yeah despite him and his tankmate (Noche) flaring at each other all day even though I tried my best to cover it with fake plants, both of the stress marks on their faces have gone away so I really don't want to ruin the progress.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 
c4talys7

Okay I just checked the filter outtake and it has slowed a lot since last night. I think eventually it will end up stopping altogether but I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'm hoping it will stay at this speed because I don't think I can adjust it. It's an Aqueon Power Filter for a 20gal.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

This is a 14g filtered tank-divided with 2 Bettas...correct....cycling with fish..any live plants?

As for the torn fin-as long as you keep up with frequent water changes to maintain water quality....I would leave him in the tank and watch for any secondary issues...depending on the cycling stage you may want to add 1 extra water only 50% to the regular schedule weekly water changes....you shouldn't need to make any 100% especially if you are wanting to establish the nitrogen cycle.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 
c4talys7

Yeah, it has live plants and it was cycled with shrimp before I put them in. I only did one 100% since I've had them in and a 75% and another 100% before to get the shrimp stuff out and put the divider in. Otherwise I've just been topping it off the past couple days. Will this ruin the cycle that I've already established?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was cycled before I put the fish in.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 
c4talys7

So maybe 2 50% twice a week? I haven't really set up a water changing schedule yet.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes over cleaning can upset the nitrogen cycle to a degree...all depends on how the 100% was done...if it was just water and you didn't over clean the substrate, walls, decorations etc....or change out or over clean the filter media...then you may have ammonia spike for a day or so...but generally-just water....you may not have any spikes or a mini-cycle so to speak.....do you have any water prams for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH to post.....
How many and what kind of live plants.....
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #8 
c4talys7

I'm walking back to my room from class right now so I'll do some tests right when I get back and post them. I only have a couple bunches of Anacharis right now because not many places sell around here. I only used a gravel vac on the substrate to get dead plant piece out when I changed the water but it did get moved around a lot when I put the decor in. Ialso just wiped the walls to get some algea off.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If you didn't touch the filter media and you had a good colony of beneficial bacteria....your tank may be fine as far as the nitrogen cycle......and with two fish in 14gal with a few plants...I would do a regular schedule weekly 50% water change along with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plants roots to maintain water quality.....and an extra 50% weekly water only based on your water prams of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and a deep vacuum with nitrate over 20ppm...

Be sure and give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slow to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow....its best to not rinse the filter media until you have an established nitrogen cycle unless the media is clogged and then you have too......
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #10 
c4talys7

If the water change takes longer than like 10min I usually out the filter media in a bin of the old tank water so it doesn't dry out too much. Just took tests
Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrites: 0.0ppm
Nitrates:0.0ppm
pH: 7.6