Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

At this point I wouldn't take it out. You'll have to start the entire process over again. I don't think it'll be an issue but just be diligent with tank cleaning once the fry are free swimming.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 
vilmarisv

Spawning tanks should always be bare bottomed. When they spawn the eggs fall to to bottom and if there's gravel the male won't be able to retrieve them and place them in the next. They usually catch a few while falling but most of them go to the bottom.
You should research a bit more before letting them spawn.
There's good info here: http://bettysplendens.com
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

Ok! Sorry!~ I'll be sure to do that next time. But gravel would cut down on fry population right? But I guess if those few fry died then I would end up with no bettas. :(
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #14 
turtle10

Maybe you should wait to spawn them until everything is set up and you know everything about breeding you possibly can.

What food do you have for the fry?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #15 
thestompa

Veiltail? My last veitail spawning and they end with dead. I hope you will not end like me.
Good luck with your breeding.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #16 
youlovegnats

I have Hikari First Bites. It says it's 54% protein so I thought it would be fine. Is it ok to give them?
The only thing I didn't know about was to take out the gravel. Is that really so bad on my part? :/

Buuuttt looks like I won't be having fry anyways... dad just keeps following mom around...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #17 
vilmarisv

Dry food are not a good starter food for fry, at least not by themselves because some fry will refuse to eat it and die. Live food are the best food, e.g. baby brine shrimp, vinegarl eels, microworms, etc.
I think it wold be best if you separated the pair, researched a bit more and try again once you have your setup prepared.
You shouldn't breed your betta where they live because they are very territorial and they could turn on the other and kill them. It all can go smoothly for a couple of days and then someone looses it and attacks the other fish. Not pretty, there was a newbie here who went againt everyone's advice and his female ended up dead. Besides, you will need a completely separate tank to raise all those fry because they need to be left alone there after they are freeswimming,
If you comdition and aclimate your pair properly, you can have a spawn where neither fish gets hurt although it is common for them to nip each other a bit.
Anyway, the link I gave you has great info on breeding and raising bettas.
Here it is again:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=855
This other one I found very helpful when I started because it goes in detail about the setup and behavior of the fish while mating:
http://www.flippersandfins.net/BettaBreedingArticle.htm
Best of luck and don't hessitate to ask questions.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I agree with 1fish...you will be fine with the gravel-I would leave it...you may have some egg loss but not enough to matter....I spawn all of mine with sand or fine gravel substrate and full to the top with water and have never had any problems.....its just easier for first time breeder to deal with bare bottom tanks...

You will have better success with live foods for the fry...I would get some BBS eggs and get a hatchery going....since they haven't spawned yet....you have time.....you will get much better results with live food for at least the first month....

Depending on how many fry you end up with at the 1 month mark- you may or may not need to get a second 10g to separate the larger fry or a 20g would be even better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #19 
1fish2fish

If you can get your hands on live foods that'll be the best. If not a good second place would be frozen Baby brine shrimp. You can get them at your local petsmart and probably petco also. I've found that most fry will not take hikari first bites, but some will. I actually use early introduction of non-live and dried foods as an early culling method (even though I do still feed some live foods) because the ones who are smart enough to eat the dried foods are usually going to be the ones who make it to adult hood and grow the fastest.

My biggest fry were the ones who knew to eat anything and everything at an early age.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #20 
youlovegnats

I see! I don't want to be the idiot here and end up with a dead fish like that other guy. So I'll go with your guys' advice. Thanks so much! I'll get some live food for the fry when I get back to spawning. I might just leave the gravel there. I don't need every single betta to live, though it would be ideal.
Thanks for the links! I'm going to read them now.