Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
Johnificent

Exclamation Betta Fish not eating!

I had my betta for like 5 days, and it hasn't touched one single piece of food I have given it. HELP?
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #2 
Emmalea

What kind of food are you giving him? If you are feeding pellets or flakes you could try something he might find more appetizing, when my new girl wouldn't eat I got some frozen bloodworm's and she loved them.
You haven't had your fish for very long so he could still just be stressed out, it sometimes takes a while for them to be calm enough to eat, though five days is a little long.
What size of tank is he in?
What is the temperature in the tank?
What type of plants does he have?
Have you tested your water? if so what were the results?

The more info you give the easier it will be to help.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #3 
Johnificent

he is in a pretty small tank :O
temperature is around 75 degrees
he has a silk plant
I have not tested his water
unfortunately, my parents dont want to get me a bigger tank right now :( i dont know how i can help it..... im feeding it hikari bio-gold to it
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 
Emmalea

Does his tank have a heater? if it does I would try to get the temperature between 78-80, 75 is too cold for bettas.
If your tank is small then you need to do daily water changes or your fish could get really sick.
I would recommend you get some test strips for your water, the ones I have test for Nitrate, nitrite, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity and pH so they are super easy to use, I would also get a test kit for ammonia.
Are you using a water conditioner?
Hikari foods are good, but I would try some frozen bloodworm's to get him started eating, you can buy them from most pet stores, they normally keep them in a freezer near the fish. If he will eat those then you can try feeding him some pellets again, I did this with my girl and now she will eat anything.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
Johnificent

thanks so much for this information :) is there anything i can do that doesnt cost money? this is my first betta fish, so they don't think i have the experience to buy me so much stuff for my betta :O
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6 
doggyhog

He should eat soon. I've had one who didn't eat for 2 weeks when I first had him, so don't worry too much about it.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
Johnificent

thanks for the help :)
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

A test kit isn't absolutely necessary but will help you monitor ther levels of ammonia in the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #9 
Cravenne

I wouldn't start him on bloodworms until he's eating pellets regularly. You'll still likely have an issue when you want him to eat pellets.
Just offer the food twice a day and remove what he doesn't eat. He will eat when he's hungry enough. Be patient! It's quite common to have feeding issues while they adjust to their new homes.

It is going to be important you get a heater and keep the water stable. I would purchase that before test strips or anything else....when you can.
A stable temperature and clean water should be your main concerns right now. Small tanks are fine assuming you do frequent water changes.

Do you know how big the tank is? If you can find out, some advice can be offered to help you set up the water change schedule :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote