Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 
Abby

wth? ewwwww icky

ok so the other day i noticed this white stuff settled on the bottom of the tank, my bf insisted it was just the foam under the stand showing through (I INSISTED it was something IN the tank...........who was right? O.O)
Me of course i was right. so i scraped it off moving nero last night and it was back this morning i wiped it off with my hand and it feels like a really fine sand grain texture and there was this gunk floating in the tank:

bottom (where i scrapped it off last night)

Looking Up from beneath the tank:

Dastan trying to work out what the hell i was doing UNDER him

and a view of it sitting on the bottom of the bays, Please excuse the poop i siphon nightly-every second, and i only siphoned it last night messy fishus!

Any thoughts guys ad girls?

NB: the filter pushes the poop around the tank till it makes it way to the filter or i siphon it

Last edited by Abby; 02-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Urgh! That is gross! I'm sorry, but I've never seen that before and I have no idea what to do for it! I'd reccomend moving the betta(s) out of that tank if you can, and doing a big ole scrubby dub on the tank. If it's too big to move, still do your bestest to clean it? :P If you can't move them, I'd scoop out as much as you can see what happens. Sorry I don't have any better advice!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Looks like mineral deposits..... maybe....do you have hard water? what is your source water...city, well water...other.....is this your only tank, if not, do the other tanks have this as well?

Do you have frogbit or duckweed in the tank...I ask because it looks a little like pollen from plants...I get that in my tanks with frogbit and duckweed

Does it start on the bottom and then float to the top once disturbed or is it mixed both on the bottom and some floating, does it have a smell?

What kind of filter media are you using.....

Do you have substrate in the tank now or has the tank ever had substrate in it, if so what kind?

You take great pics by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 
Abby

Bf came home and told me it was setament from the filter media lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote