Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
Godmadefish

Shallow Betta Tank?

I really would like to get a tank for my betta that is really long, but also very shallow, I'm thinking about 7 inches tall. Has this been done?
Godmadefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Petco has a long, 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. It is very long, and shallow. The PetCo website is down for maintenance right now, though.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
demonr6

That would be the tank I have. It measures 24L x 8W x 9H. It has a base, a lid and a light with a meh filtration system that you can replace or forego altogether if you intend to run al natural. Nice tank, I am ready to bust out with a biggger version now! My office may turn into a cypress swamp if my wife does not get a handle on me soon!

Here is my tank spam I posted eariler today.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=63629
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I think a long shallow tank is a great idea if you can find one. It really mimics the betta's natural habitat in expansive shallow rice paddys.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 
Pekemom

I love the shape of your tank, Demon...Your decorations are really nice, too.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #6 
Godmadefish

Yeah, I've been looking online but can't find anything. The Petco one is nice, but I'm thinking a bit longer and 2 or 3 inches shallower, glass maybe? I just think that would be neat. I'd probably have to make it at this rate. Maybe I should start up a business of them, become an entrepreneur, and retire independently wealthy at my ripe old age of 22.
Godmadefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I use plastic tubs for breeding....they're pretty shallow and cheap.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 
demonr6

Thanks Pekemon, this may lead me to a larger version but along the same lines. I like the idea of a more shallow tank. Being from Florida, if you have visited any of the springs or state parks you get the idea. It will change, I am not thrilled with the plants and there will be some tweaking but I like the premise of it so far.

Godmadefish, I visited a couple of sites where you can have your tank custom made. I would advise against less than the 9 inches. It will not give you a lot of room to add decorations. Remember you are adding an inch or more of substrate and when you add items like the driftwood you may run into some issues. Even some plants may outgrow a shallow tank quickly. There are a host of issues to consider including your filtration, will the tank be tall enough for most filters and on and on. I personally would opt for a 12 inch and leave myself the extra room for a nicer piece of wood and I would have added more substrate sloping it more. Also I would have liked it with a little more depth but that is for the next tank!
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmadefish View Post
Yeah, I've been looking online but can't find anything. The Petco one is nice, but I'm thinking a bit longer and 2 or 3 inches shallower, glass maybe? I just think that would be neat. I'd probably have to make it at this rate. Maybe I should start up a business of them, become an entrepreneur, and retire independently wealthy at my ripe old age of 22.
Well the shallowness is easily adjustable by the amount of water you decide to add.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote