Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #1 
KitKat422

Not eating, possibly sick?

Hey guys, so I'm completely new to this forum and I was wondering if you could help me out? I'm also pretty new to Bettas... I had them when I was little, but my parents mostly took care of them, because I was too young to to know what to do :P

I just got two new Betta fish on Monday... They're both girls and they live together, and I'm kind of worried about them.

So the first one is Squirt, and she's the littler one of the two, and she's getting bullied by Squiggles, the bigger one :( yesterday I actually saw a noticeable little wound on Squirt! It wasn't too bad, she wasn't freaking out or didn't seem like she was in pain. Squiggles is always following Squirt around, even chasing her sometimes, and I don't know if that's just a dominance thing, or what...

And on top of that, neither of them are eating... Squiggles hasn't eaten anything since I've gotten her, and Squirt ate the first day quite eagerly, but not anymore. But saying that, Squiggles definitely does look healthier than Squirt even though Squiggles hasn't eaten anything...

Right now Squirt is frantically swimming around the bowl and Squiggles isn't chasing her at all... only when Squirt gets a little close does Squiggles sort of "lunge" at her... Just kidding, now Squiggles is kind of chasing her...

Squirt looks really beat up, I don't know if its just because of Squiggles, or maybe she's sick, I've been reading about diseases they can get and I can't really tell if Squirt is just a little beat up, or if she's got some sort of skin disease? I don't know what really to call it...

And then I don't want to separate them, because once they get themselves sorted out, and I put them back together again, I know putting them back together will just be hell for Squirt...

I know that's a lot to try and figure out, I know I'm not so good at completing a whole thought before starting in on a new one... But long story short 2 fish, one's being bullied and I'm worried about her :( and both of them aren't eating..

What should I doooo D: any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance(:

ps, they live in a half gallon tank together, and their water is clean and such, and I've tried two different kinds of food
KitKat422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #2 
KitKat422

So just a mini update... I just tried feeding them again, and Squirt ate 3 pieces of food, and Squiggles ate 2, almost a third, but she grabbed it and then let go and didn't try to eat another one...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #3 
karlhague

It is pretty normal for bettas not to eat from between 2-5 days sometimes longer after first comming home.

They need time to settle.

Just so you know A half Gallon Tank is nowhere near big enough to home to Female Bettas, As time goes on they will most likley become aggressive and one will probably end up killing the other one.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #4 
KitKat422

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
It is pretty normal for bettas not to eat from between 2-5 days sometimes longer after first comming home.

Ok thanks, this makes me feel loads better about their eating habits

They need time to settle.

Just so you know A half Gallon Tank is nowhere near big enough to home to Female Bettas, As time goes on they will most likley become aggressive and one will probably end up killing the other one.

thanks for the warning! I'll try to figure something out for them asap
Thanks for the help(:
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #5 
karlhague

When my Bettas refuse pellets, I soak them in a bit of garlic juice/bloodworm Juice and they become little piggies.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #6 
KitKat422

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
When my Bettas refuse pellets, I soak them in a bit of garlic juice/bloodworm Juice and they become little piggies.
Thanks a lot, I'll get on that in the morning (:

Ps, the horse in your avatar is gorgeous! I love it's color (I'm a horse person as well) :)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat422 View Post
Thanks a lot, I'll get on that in the morning (:

Ps, the horse in your avatar is gorgeous! I love it's color (I'm a horse person as well) :)

I Rescued him at 3months old, I've owned him Almost 2 years.

And Thank you.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the problem is that the one is bullying the other. They really should be separated. One will dominate the other one and bully her to death. Females can be kept together in a heavily planted 10 gallon or larger tank, called a sorority.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote