Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 
Betta Slave

Amaryllis isn't doing so well!

I've been treating her for gill parasites, and I couldn't give her a water change yesterday as I got home late and I had a ton of homework. Ever since I put her in the water for her last water change (On Tuesday) she's been a bit sluggish. I did all the things I normally did in her water change, so I don't see what could be wrong?

She's in a 2 gallon, temp at around 80, a pink ceramic mug in there, a floating plant, and a mystery snail- only temporarily- she seemed a bit bored. Her color isn't faded, though, it's almost the best it's ever been! I'd get a pic but I have to go to school in 5 minutes!

Her stomach's bigger than it was, and she's always at the surface taking breaths every 5-10 seconds... and her scales look a tiny bit raised, but then they always are on some fish. I'm wondering if she could've gotten dropsy from Hattie, but I was very careful about that water and I am 99.9% sure I didn't get any in Amaryllis' tank. And dropsy, so my mom has told me, is congestive heart failure, which is not contagious! I will do a water change today, though, regardless of if I have time or not...
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your mom is partly right....dropsy is a symptom of many different disease usually bacterial in nature....often dropsy can be the sign that the internal organs are shutting down or system failure......sometimes the fish can recover, however, usually once you see dropsy its too late...fast treatment is needed.....Epsom salt 2tsp/gal is the treatment I recommend for the sign/symptom of dropsy-this can help with the swelling and pressure on the internal organs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

Thank you for the help, OFL, but I just came home and I'm afraid it's too late... at least I have some clove oil on hand... :(
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote