Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1 
JKfish

Is this normal?

Tux is such a freak... but I love him. He's my first halfmoon, and his heavy finnage makes him act differently than any other betta I've had. As such, I can't really tell if what he does classifies as 'normal' or not.

1.Sometime's I'll look over at him, and he'll be resting with his tail on the plant and his head tipped down so it looks like he's doing a hand stand. And he'll just sit unmoving. Is this normal?

2. He'll swim under the filter and let it push him down to the gravel... then he'll just lay on the gravel and let the water movement just run over him for a bit. Eventually he'll get up and swim away, but it freaks me out.

3. The left rear corner of the tank by the filter intake with the wisteria is where he likes to hang out. Sometimes when I watch him, he'll start swimming up and down in circles and then turn sideways and swim on his side with his dorsal top area close to the glass. He's perfectly capable of swimming normally, and for the most part he does, but whenever he does that, it makes me sort of nervous.

4. he likes weding himself in small spaces and looking like he's stuck. Example: he's wedged himself between the betta log and the glass... and then just sat there before swimming away.

Oh, and he won't accept prepared fish food. I've tried everything I know how to do, but he just keeps spitting his food out. He only accepts frozen bloodworms (which I soak in garlic juice), which is fine by me. But I'm worried he won't have enough variety in his diet and not enough different vitamins/nutrients.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 
Arzela

You know, Kami used to do the same thing. He was a double tail though...but he had some serious finnage going on. He'd literally lay side ways on the bottom of the tank, and as soon as I'd walk over to check on him, he'd correct himself and swim like normal. He also liked to do the 'handstand' thing you were talking about...I have no idea if it could be considered normal or not. I just considered Kami very weird.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

My DBT lays sideways on things sometimes, too. I thought he was dead the first time I saw him. He's only over an inch long, with fins longer than his body, so he has stability issues. lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 
sjones

Of my two dts, one (Phantom)has a much shorter body proportionate to his head. He has a hard time staying upright and swimming like the other one. I got him a betta log which is good because it helps him rest stabile. I think it may be a side effect of breeding for long dt finnage now that you mention it :(! I have only recently noticed this since they are both in a divided tank and I can easily compare their proportions and behaviors. He is wedging himself on the floating plants a lot as well. Another possibility I haven't ruled out is chronic SBD or curved spine..he is a cellophane and I have read they have a predisposition for many issues due to their breeding.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #5 
JKfish

his body isn't that sort though, I know it's a bit shorter probably due to dbt in his history, but he's still able to swim just fine... Unless someone says his antics are something lifethreatening, I think he'll be fine.

oh, and how can I get him to eat more things to get better nutrition? I don't mind having to feed frozen, or even live, so I'll do a bit of research and find out what other frozen foods I can give him that'll expand his diet a bit more.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote