Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 
demonr6

New tank spam

Still battling issues with getting the lighting right so the pics come out more clear. Dante does not want to cooperate either.. always on the go.

The plants are not permanent and will change since PetSmart has crappy semi-aquatic plants and the PlantedAquariums people do not seem to be interested in helping me put something together.. so on to another website for help.

Substrate is Activ Flora and plantings for the moment are anubias, java ferns, umbrella plant (not perm) and wisteria. The substrate has lived up to its end of the bargain and the water parameters are stellar. I use the API 2x daily morning and night to check and other than the pH being a tad high everything is on the money. It has been in service for a week now. My only complaint it the lighting but I will figure that out soon I hope. I don't like it sitting right on top of the tank how it is now. It is not affecting the water temp at all which is not a bad thing at least. I am monitoring that as well..

Even though I am running a filter for the time being, there is no active carbon. It is a three stage setup that originally had a foam - carbon - biomax system. I removed the carbon stage opting to move the bio down then adding a second layer of foam. It has a sponge baffling as well with the flow being set to the lowest level to keep the water movement down. Dante does not seem to mind it at all, he is all over the place. I found him this morning sleeping under the mopani. I was not able to find him at first as he is darkish and he was under the dark portion of the wood. I found him when he emerged from the darkness like a moray eel looking for a snack.

There is an apple snail doing some cleanup and two ghost shrimp to supplement since the snail makes his own mess. So far Dante is only curiously interested in the snail but nothing beyond that and the shrimp are inconsequential to him.

Comments, concerns, questions, complaints always welcome!

demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #2 
maycausedeath

Your tank looks amazing! I love the dw and the way your betta looks with your tank.

If you're looking for plants, I would check out http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/
Everyone there is really nice, and they have a whole forum for sales/trades. Good luck, and I love the substrate!
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 
demonr6

Thanks for the link!! More tanks to drool over!!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #4 
Ariel1719

Amazing! What size tank is that?
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 
demonr6

Bookshelf 6.6 g from Petco. It scratches hella easy but knowing that in advance helps me with how I approach the tank. It measures 24L x 8W x 9H.. I may have a custom glass tank made close to these specs so this is a good starter for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #6 
turtle10

O.O

Wow… that is so cool looking. Wide/long tanks are my favorite. Wouldn't it be cool to have a bookshelf tank that goes all the way across a room?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
demonr6

If you have the loot, you can have them custom made. Anything is possible if you have the disposable income and the space I guess.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #8 
roboglitz

That tank is so nice and I like the set up! You got it from Petco? I'm definitely going to check that out.

ETA: Found the tank on the website! http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...:referralID=NA
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 
demonr6

That is the one! The filtration system isn't totally horrible but I replaced it with a sponge filter setup because I did not want carbon in this system. I added a 7 inch micro bubbler and a submersible heater and it is good to go.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

I like that setup!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote