Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy

Suddenly lethargic and pale

Woke up this morning and Finn is extremely pale and lethargic. He's just resting on top of the tallest plant and hasn't moved much since I woke up.
The tank is heated to 78 and I just did a 75% water change last night. He's in a divided 3 gallon (temporary for spring break) and Fleur seems just fine. Yesterday was fasting day and he doesn't look bloated. Other than that, he was building a bubblenest when I turned off the light last night.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #2 
kelly528

Do you normally do 75% water changes? Unless you are careful to match the temperature, pH and harness of the new water to the old stuff, the change in water chemistry will really throw your betta off.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Well normally they're in a 5 gallon cycled tank. I suppose it could be the differences between the water here at home and the water at school but wouldn't that have affected him a lot sooner rather than a week after I put him in this tank? I also acclimated them to our home water when I brought them back.
But I always do the same process when doing water changes. I let the water sit out and treat it. Take the fish out of the tank, remove the old water and put the new water in. Let it balance out the temperature and add them in later.

Oh and he's perked up a little but still not moving much.

Last edited by SaylorKennedy; 02-24-2011 at 05:54 PM.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote