Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 
DeadMemories92

Ammonia Issues

Okay. So I'm having a really big problem here. Bought my tank and set it up early Monday morning (1am) and now it has begun to turn cloudy. I haven't cycled it and didn't really think much of it because I was so excited about giving Waffle, Wartooth, and Slayer their new expanded homes!

So I feel as if ammonia has taken over. I don't have a test kit because I live in the middle of nowhere with no Walmarts close by or fish stores. I had to drive an hour and 15 minutes to pick up a fish tank and supplies. Gas prices has went up which is causing me to stress.

So how do I go about this problem? I started doing 25% water changes last night. My tank is a heated 10 gallon that is holding about 8 gallons right now due to dividers and such. My fish are acting normal, eating, swimming, etc. But I'm keeping a very close eye on them.

Also, I need a gravel vacuum. Does anyone know any substitutes to vacuum the excess waste? ;(

What should I do?
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #2 
turtle10

That is most likely a bacterial bloom. If you are doing regular water changes you won't have ammonia. If you can't get a gravel vacuum, you could use a new turkey baster.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #3 
DeadMemories92

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
karlhague

or a piece of airline tubing.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

You might want to consider ordering a water test kit online which is actually cheaper than in stores anyway. This is the cheapest I could locate once you take shipping into account. I just got the same one and it works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-Fishcare-...8572875&sr=1-1
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote