Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #1 
tokala

Question Will my new, TINY betta fish grow?

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the replies I got on a thread posted in the "pictures" section about my new rescue Betta. He (now named "Siku"- means "ice dragon" from an Eskimo myth) is doing FANTASTIC and has completely stolen my heart (seen in my avatar). Such a HUGE personality for such a little guy! Speaking of, is it likely he will grow any? I have no idea how old he is, but he is barley over an inch in total length and I can't believe he can actually swallow a pellet- they look bigger than his mouth! Has anyone ever had a betta grow after they bought him from the pet store? Is it common for them to stay so little?

Last edited by tokala; 02-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokala View Post
First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the replies I got on a thread posted in the "pictures" section about my new rescue Betta. He (now named "Siku"- means "ice dragon" from an Eskimo myth) is doing FANTASTIC and has completely stolen my heart (seen in my avatar). Such a HUGE personality for such a little guy! Speaking of, is it likely he will grow any? I have no idea how old he is, but he is barley over an inch in total length and I can't believe he can actually swallow a pellet- they look bigger than his mouth! Has anyone ever had a betta grow after they bought him from the pet store? Is it common for them to stay so little?

Bettas from petstores range from 3months to 2years old usualy.

Its quite unusual to find a young one, But looking at yours he may grow some more.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #3 
Feral

My first ct was an itty bitty Wallyworld buy- he's now nearly doubled in size in under a year and looking fine.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 
bettafreak33

@Feral.The bottom right picture in your avatar made me ROFL!
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #5 
Luimeril

yeah, most of mine grow after i get them! :D i'm glad your new boy's doing so great! <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #6 
xswornxoffxjello

Yuppers. My little girl, Melody, was ittty bitty when I got her, and now she rivals the others for size. :) Zippity's grown a lot, too, but she's not as big. Clean water and lots of food, and he'll grow a lot. :D
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 
tokala

Hey everyone, thank you very much for all of your replies! Now that he has a nice big heated/filtered tank and lots of TLC i hope he thrives. I wouldn't mind a bit if he doubled in size, or didn't change a bit and stayed dinky- I just love that little dude. Didn't know you could get emotionally attached to a fish! Ha! Cheers all!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #8 
roboglitz

My new DT is really tiny too, his body is maybe an inch and a half. I hope he gets a little bit bigger, he's so tiny right now!
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

I still absolutely love your betta! :) I'm sure he will grow some more, I've never heard of a betta being so little as an adult. :) That's a great name for him too. :) Just out of curiosity, how big is his tank?? :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #10 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
I still absolutely love your betta! :) I'm sure he will grow some more, I've never heard of a betta being so little as an adult. :) That's a great name for him too. :) Just out of curiosity, how big is his tank?? :)
He's in a 2.5 right now, I'm thinking about picking up a 5 gallon for him in a few weeks. He hasn't been building any bubblenests, but he's really active and eats like crazy.
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote