Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
Kaytie

Betta fish isn't looking too happy :(

Hey all,

Would appreciate any help I could get regarding my poor little betta, Guapito.

Housing
What size is your tank? He was kept in a really small tank until recently. His new tank is 6.6 litres (approx. 1.74 gallons)
What temperature is your tank? I have no idea.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, his new tank does however the filter is currently not being used as the current it creates is way too strong.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, the new tank has a heater, however it is currently not being used as it is quite warm where I am.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Have been feeding him flake food. Was given pellet food when I purchased the new tank, however he cannot seem to swallow them, so went back to flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? The flake food packet said feed him three times a day... I thought this was way too much. I have been feeding him once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? When he was in his small tank, every 5-6 days or less if it looked like it needed a clean.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? The stuff to dechlorinate the water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes. See pictures before and after. His colour has paled and his fins have completely shrunk/twisted. If observed from above you can see that sometimes he swims with an 'S' shape in his body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes. He used to be a real wimp , now he's quite lethargic and doesn't seem concerned by anything. Doesn't move around a lot. Have noticed that he has not been producing any... waste.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I got him late December, started noticing the symptoms maybe late January 2011.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Firstly, got him a bigger tank with filter and heater. However, have not been using either for reasons stated above. He does seem happier in the big tank though (I felt the other tank was way too small, even though the store insisted it was fine). Fed him less, fasted him for 24 hours. Tried giving him a bit of the inside of a pea.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him from the store just before Christmas 2010. So I have had him for less than 2 months; not sure how old he actually is though.

Before

After (the picture kind of distorts his head haha, his head is fine! just note the fins)

both pictures taken in old tank, by the way. new one is big and very pretty :)

So yeah any advice as to how to get guapito happy and healthy again would be appreciated. I have tried googling for advice (constipation etc.) but there's just so much information and it's hard to get through. Would also appreciate advice regarding the filter and ways to slow the current down? I have only put it on once for less than a minute, he definitely did not enjoy the experience.

thanks again
Kaytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well....

Right now I would make 100% water changes for 2 days and see if this won't perk him up
And then get on a regular schedule of 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes to maintain water quality

Make sure that the water is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes to prevent temp shock and always use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish/tank

You also need to get a thermometer and check the water temp and maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #3 
Kaytie

thanks for your advice. will definitely start with the frequent water changes.

i'm also going to get a thermometer.

ive done 2 100% water changes over the last 2 days... he still looks terrible. not sure what to do about him.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #4 
Rbrtkln

Try salt baths. Add seasalt, 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Do this for like a week and see if he improves. Make sure it is seasalt and not regular table salt. My betta went dormant recently and this helped get him out of it.
Rbrtkln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #6 
Kaytie

just an update... thanks for all the advice. I think the water changes definitely made a difference. His fins seem to be getting bigger and his tail is hardly twisted anymore. He is much more active and generally a happier fish. :D

Thanks again!