Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question How Rare???

How rare is it to find a show/breeding quality fish at a pet store. Has it ever happen that anyone has know of?
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Never happened to me but I stopped looking once I bought my first breeder pair.
IMO, it's posible you might find one with a lot of good qualities but it's very unlikey that the will transmit to the fry if you breed.
Unless you find out of a fishstore that buys bettas from breeders you'll prob never find one at the stores... of course, these will probably be rejected fish from that breeder's line.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #3 
monroe0704

I agree that it's highly unlikely even a show quality pet store betta will pass on those genes. They have a very scrambled genetic background. BUT I did find a DT that was nearly show worthy. Pretty outstanding for a pet store betta, but he still could never compete w those from solid show lines.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I have seen many nice, breeding worthy, fish at PetCo....they will throw you an array of colors but fins will need improvement. If you want a solid base for a breeding pair...go with a breeder.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #5 
shinybetta

The orange dalmation line was started from pet store bettas, so yes.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The HM got its start from a pet shop Betta too.....the Betta meets standards or it doesn't......true, you won't have any history on a pet shop Betta....but you may not get history from an aquabid Betta either...not all breeders keep good records...it can be a crap shoot......

Good show fish don't always make good breeders just as a good breeder is not a good show fish.....genetic are only part of it....the environment/water quality/nutrition has a lot to do with it as well....

Its also in how much time you are willing to put in it and what your goal is when breeding pet shop Bettas with mystery genetic.......if you want instant show fish...buy from a local respected breeder in the USA...you will get better fish that will usually live longer and have less problems because they have already adapted to all our chemicals in our water......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

I saw three female yellow dragons at my lfs and I bought one of them. I dont know what tailtype they could be because my lfs only sells male and female veiltails so it is possible it was some shipping mix up. Despite that they were probably show worthy and I know because I own one of them.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I saw a VERY nice turquoise HM that came from a pet co. I might have considered him breeding quality.

Here's the thing... if your hoping to produce quality right off the bat and have a general knowledge of what you want, go to a breeder. If you want to play around and are willing to do heavy culling to get a nice fish from breeders from unknown genetics... go with that handsome pet store fish.

The issue is most new breeders don't have the stomach to do the heavy culling needed to improve the genetics of the line. There's a breeder who recently did a spawn with a male from a petstore and a female from a breeder.. got some nice fish from it IMO... but because he's been breeding for decades he had the experience to know that he wasn't getting the results he wanted and thus refused to sell the reject fish. Might seem cold but it'll keep those unwanted genes from going back into genepool.

Like OFL said... genetics isn't all of it. My fry came from outstanding breeders but I only have a couple that I would consider breeding or showing and all of the fry are tiny. Are they more valuable than pet store fish? IMO not by very much, the only saving grace is knowing their history and knowing their healthy.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote