Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #1 
Princebetta

is my betta healthy?

I got my betta more than a week ago and jst wantto make sure I'm cleaning it right and doing everything best as possible. I want the best health for my fish. I have a 3 gallon tank with a light, decoration plants, a bridge, and an air stone filter. My heater arrives on tuesday. When I clean the tank and gems I add a water cleaner fizz tab to the new water . Do these work good? I feed my betta 3 pellets a day. Does anyone have more tips?
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Welcome! It's great that you're doing your research so that you can provide the best care for your new fish.

Three gallons is a decent size and it's good you're getting a heater. What are the fizz tabs? Are they just water conditioner? How often do you do water changes? Just make sure the plants and decor aren't too rough, some decorations can rip bettas' fins. Run some pantyhose over them, if it snags then it's not betta-safe.

I'd love to see pictures of your setup and fish!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 
Princebetta

Yeah the tabs are water conditioners. Im going to start doing a full water change at least once a week. Is that ok?
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I don't know much about the fizzing tabs as conditioner. Read the packaging: as long as they remove chloramines, chlorine, and heavy metals, it should be ok, but I'm not totally sure; maybe someone who has had more experience with them can weigh in on them. Ammonia can build up quickly in smaller tanks, so I would do water changes twice a week in any filtered tank under 5 gallons: one 50% water change, and one 100% where you also rinse the gems to get rid of any old food and fish waste.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote