Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Help me pick!

Sooo my sibling pairs are not mutually ready for breeding. Out of each pair, I have only one betta willing to spawn and I'd rather not mix the pairs since one shows mostly black color and the other has a white base. While putting them on hold for a while, I'd like to get at least one spawn underway! I have so much room and I'd like to take advantage of it! Since I'm not the best at betta color genetics, I'd like some guidance on who would be best paired together. I'll include pics below of all the options! I guess I'll even include the ones in the pairs that are willing to breed too... Let me know what you think! :)

Males:

White DT

Black/Yellow/Blue HMPK - he's a great bubblenester and really works hard to impress the ladies... his sibling hasn't produced any eggs though even with extended conditioning :/

I'm using his AB photo so you can see his spread; Melano HM

I have a Tricolor DT available but he has a serious tailbiting issue and I don't think that'd be good to put him in a spawning scenario like that...

Females:

Blue/Yellow/White Marble HMPK

Red/Black/Blue Marble HMPK - she has a funny shaped head though so I'm unsure about breeding her...

I also have a Tricolor HM full of eggs.

There you have it. Not much to choose from I know :/ Thanks a bunch!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #2 
beat2020

If you want to work with marbles, I think either HMPK girl would be fine with your HMPK male. You should pretty much just get marbles in various colors lol. I love the HMPK male's finnage.

If you want to work with multis, I would spawn the tricolor female with the white DT. You should get various colors (Mostly blue/red multis would be my guess), but both parents have great fins. :)
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #3 
monroe0704

Thanks :) I was quite surprised at how well balanced the white DT was. He's coming out of full flare in that pic, so he's actually better than pictured!

I do want to work mostly with the marble HMPKs. I'd love to continue those lines, but I didn't want to contaminate any color palette... so that's why I'm here since I don't know how the marble colors are passed! Glad to know I'll just get a wide smattering of colors :)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 
beat2020

Yeah with marbles you can't really tell...I would just breed either girl with that male. :)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I think crossing the white/blue female with the white DT would be interesting.

With the marble there's no way to tell what mix of colors you'll get so like Beat said using either one would be fine.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

I would do the DT with the white/blue marble girl too.
They are very nice fish plus you'll minimize the red wash on the fry that the other marble girl will surely bring in the mix.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 
monroe0704

Ya I don't like breeding my blues/yellows to a red girl... I did just order another plakat who has red, black, yellow, and blue all together... I figure I'll feel better breeding her to him. The good thing is all my PK are from the same breeder... so I bet they're from similar spawns!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #8 
monroe0704

Oh and to mention, both the PK girls carry DT. So crossing with the White DT would give me long fin DT/HM right? Unless if he carried a gene for PK, which the breeder never sells PK so I doubt it lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #9 
beat2020

Yes, you should get some longfin DT out of that spawn.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

If they're from the same breeder and around the same age chances are your marbles are related (cousins if not siblings) so I don't think crossing them would muddle up your yellow/blue.

I agree. Crossing the DT with PK (dt geno) should give you long fins, long fin DT, and probably a few short fins as well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote