Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #1 
JKfish

quick question about cory cats

So I went to an LFS not that long ago... and saw some itty bitty little albino cories. :3 so cute~ Lol, I can't stop thinking about them.

First off, I could keep 4 in a 10 gallon with Tux, right? And second, would their barbels be alright with flourite gravel/substrate?

I'm not looking to get some until after the tank is completely cycled, planted better, and I've got a better idea of Tux's personality... but it can't hurt to ask questions :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 
LisaLB24

I've got a 10g with 4 three line cories and they all get along great! It's so much fun to watch all 5 of them pecking on the sinking pellets. You've got it right though. it really depends on the bettas temperament. I have another betta in a 2.5g by himself who will flare at and attack a mirror until you take it out. The boy in with my cories flares and then runs away and hides from a mirror . He's just a big softy. After my tank cycled I added the cories and waited a few weeks for them to settle and then added the betta. They were just always there so he never really questioned them. I would also recommend some kind of dwarf swords or grass for the cories. They just feel so much safer swimming around under the grasses, I almost never see them in areas of the tank not planted. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I have Eco complete which is probably similar to Flourite and they all have fine, healthy barbels.

They should be fine, but you never know. Tango was fine for a year and a half and then spent every day chasing and terrorizing them until I moved him. It's a 50/50 chance.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 
JKfish

Thank you LisaLB for the tip :) I'll have to add some dwarf hair grass to my list of plants to buy then.

Vaygirl: thanks as well :D . I'm hoping that Tux will be friendly if/when I get them, though just in case he isn't, I'll have to come up with a back up plan.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 
shinybetta

4 albinos is a little overstocked. My female albino is huge! As long as my male betta, and thicker. Males are smaller, but still, they are decent sized. My three albino corydoras and spotted corydoras are okay in a ten gallon, but I think they will be much happier in my new 30 gallon. They are pretty active. I am not sure about the gravel. Mine were fine with gravel, but one day one lost all of his whikers. And they prefer sand, more natural and easy to dig in. If you can find them, pygmy cories would be better because of their small size.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #6 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
4 albinos is a little overstocked. My female albino is huge! As long as my male betta, and thicker. Males are smaller, but still, they are decent sized. My three albino corydoras and spotted corydoras are okay in a ten gallon, but I think they will be much happier in my new 30 gallon. They are pretty active. I am not sure about the gravel. Mine were fine with gravel, but one day one lost all of his whikers. And they prefer sand, more natural and easy to dig in. If you can find them, pygmy cories would be better because of their small size.
I agree with this. Panda cories are a wonderful choice although they are a bit delicate.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #7 
LisaLB24

O/P, just realized you were from Georgia! Hi, neighbor!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #8 
JKfish

Thanks for the info everyone :)

lol, hi Lisa ^-^