Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
roboglitz

Petco Betta Adoptions?

There are tons of bettas at my local Petco, and some of them aren't looking too good. They have so many that there are a lot who are pushed to the back and in bad condition. I was considering buying about ten and nursing them back to health, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to adopt a few of the rescues.

If I do go pick them up, I'd just ask for shipping and whatever the fish costs.
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 
Emmalea

I think it's a really nice idea to give them a good home. That being said I wouldn't pay for them, go talk to the manager and see if you can get them for free, you don't want to support them selling sick fish.

You also need to think about what you will do if you can't find them good homes, are you willing to care for ten bettas if no one else wants them?

If it was my I would get a smaller number, maybe three or four. Nurse those ones back to health find them good homes and then go get more.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i'd love to adopt one, but the prices of Petco's bettas scare me away, honestly. xD i agree with what the above poster said. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #4 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
I think it's a really nice idea to give them a good home. That being said I wouldn't pay for them, go talk to the manager and see if you can get them for free, you don't want to support them selling sick fish.

You also need to think about what you will do if you can't find them good homes, are you willing to care for ten bettas if no one else wants them?

If it was my I would get a smaller number, maybe three or four. Nurse those ones back to health find them good homes and then go get more.
Yeah, I wanted to see how much interest there was before getting them. I don't have room to take care of that many bettas long term.

And, yeah I was going to see if I could get the sick ones for free, I don't know what they would do with them since I'm sure they don't bother helping the sick ones. But if I can't I might buy a few.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #5 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i'd love to adopt one, but the prices of Petco's bettas scare me away, honestly. xD i agree with what the above poster said. :3
Yeah, I'm really going to look into getting the sick ones in the nasty cups for free. They have given a couple bettas before that were in rough shape. So, hopefully I can do that again.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #6 
Luimeril

the trick is, to not sound like you just want free fish. try telling the manager something along the lines of "those won't sell, because they're clearly sick. and, you'll lose money, either way. why not give them to me? i can make them better. so you don't lose money, i'll gladly buy all the supplies i need from THIS store, to compensate."
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
the trick is, to not sound like you just want free fish. try telling the manager something along the lines of "those won't sell, because they're clearly sick. and, you'll lose money, either way. why not give them to me? i can make them better. so you don't lose money, i'll gladly buy all the supplies i need from THIS store, to compensate."
Oh good idea! Yeah, I'll def try and do that. I just don't want to bring them home and then not have homes for them to go to later, but I suppose since they will take a while to heal up they do have time...
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #8 
Goomba3

I would offer to adopt one, but I only have one good free tank, and that is currently being saved for a fish from another poster here. But a definite good idea, I will keep you in mind if I don't end up adopting the other one!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #9 
roboglitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba3 View Post
I would offer to adopt one, but I only have one good free tank, and that is currently being saved for a fish from another poster here. But a definite good idea, I will keep you in mind if I don't end up adopting the other one!
Fantastic! I think I'm probably going to go and see about getting a few tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #10 
Goomba3

Good luck!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote