Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #21 
JKfish

... both look female now... huh. your red guy/girl looked like a guy in the first set of photos, but in these, she is definately female.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #22 
kathstew

I know! Its really weird! I guess I should just keep an eye on her? LOL.
So for now, I am gonna say she is a girl and just keep an eye out for a bubble nest. :P
She just seems very manly to me. She is quite the flare-er. Hm.
XD

Thanks for the help!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #23 
Pekemom

Welcome, Kathstew!! I'm a new betta owner, too - a little girl named Brooke. She's a blue crowntail betta, and her color is sort of aqua-green-blue metallic. So pretty!! Good luck with your girls (or should I say your girl and boy??)!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #24 
turtle10

You could get a 2.5 or a five gallon, divide it and then you will only have to buy one heater. A heater costs about the same if not more than a five gallon.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #25 
kathstew

Pekemom - Thanks for the welcome! Welcome to you too! Your betta sounds beautiful! And thank you for the luck, same to you!
Turtle - thank you for the advice. You have definitely got me thinking. I am going out today to look at my options. With a 2.5 - 5 gallon would I NEED a filter, or could I just continue with water changes every other day?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #26 
turtle10

It filter is not completely necessary, but it would require one 100% everyweek. If you only do partial water changes the ammonia keeps building up to toxic levels. With no filter, I highly suggest getting the 5 gallon (2.5 is the very, VERY minimum, and I only recommend it if there is no way you could go bigger). The 5 gallon is only a few more dollars than the 2.5.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #27 
JKfish

Well, you could get a ten gallon and divide it... that way it's just one tank, one heater, and one filter. If you do it like that, you can do a fish in cycle, meaning you'll probably only have to do one 50% water change a week. However, if you do that, you'll probably want to buy the API master test kit from walmart to moniter the water quality.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #28 
kathstew

I looked at some of the tanks they had at petsmart and wal-mart, and before I can buy any, I'm gonna have to save some money. XD
My birthday is coming up, so I might wait before I make any big purchases, like a big tank, filter system, etc.
For a divider, do you guys make your own or buy them? I was looking at the one they had at petsmart, and it was $10.99 for a screen see-through divider. The problem with my females right now, is if the bowls are even close to eachother, they just flare and flare and flare.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #29 
JKfish

you can make your own DIY project for half the price petstores sell them for. If you put enough decorations and silk or real plants by the divider, they should be able to ignore each other, and even if they don't, eventually they will stop.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #30 
Thunderloon

surest way to tell them apart is when they flare, the girls just rock their side gill scales up, boys get a full blown beard of gill cover and the sheath comes out from inside.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote