Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
shellbelle1982

what should you put in first, the betta or the tankmates?

Hi, I would like some help as I'm a newbie to owning a betta fish. I would like to have a community tank with a betta fish.

I have brought a 48 litre aquarium with 6 plants and in the next week I can add some fish to it and I would like to know, do you add the betta fish first or do you put the other fish.

I was told by the shop that I can have tetras, mollies and plecto(sucker fish). I like to know which fish to buy first to start the aquarium off.

thanks

shellbelle1982
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

This would be a little over 12gal tank...correct.....the pleco would not be a good choice due to even the smallest would get too big and so would the mollies...the smallest tank for both would be 20gal or 75 liter tank...unless it was a common pleco then you would need at least 250g or bigger since they get about 2ft...

Lots of tetra species that could work that stay under 2in when grown- provided that you got enough for a proper school to start.

When stocking it is important to stock based on their full grown or adult size not the size you buy them...after all the plan is long term keeping....lol....you also have to stock based on their social needs, territory, chemistry, temp etc......

How do you plan to establish the nitrogen cycle...fishless or fish-in....since you plan on live plants you can safely cycle with the fish provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes

With a new setup-I would add the school of tetras first and you can use this as your QT too....wait 3 weeks and add the Betta if all is well with the Tetras...*remember the 3 week QT time starts over if the fish gets sick......
I would also go ahead and get the Betta but keep him in a separate container or QT so you can safely add him once QT time has passed.....

Look forward to pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

also, make sure ur tetras are not tail biters, some tend to get nippy.. not a good mix with bettas
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
turtle10

Never trust a pet shop employees advice, most don't know what they are talking about.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #5 
shellbelle1982

Thank you for the advice. It seems that the guy in the shop just wanted to get the money without really thinking about the needs of my aquarium.

I have been doing this aquarium starter kit that came with the aquarium which says to get the fish in 7 days and putting fresh start on day one, plants in day two and filter start every other day. so I don't know how the nitrogen cycle is coming about. But I was going to do the water changes anyway.

i know tetras have been mention, is there anything else colorful that could go into the aquarium? just for a rough idea?

thanks again and I will put pics up when it's ready

shellbelle1982

Last edited by shellbelle1982; 02-26-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #6 
turtle10

What is fresh start?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7 
shellbelle1982

It's a water conditioner to get rid of the chemicals, chlorine and metals in tap water. it came with the tank start up kit from interpet.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 
turtle10

What is filter start? lol
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #9 
shellbelle1982

LOL I never knew all this stuff either before I wanted to start my own tank. Filter start is a bacteria culture, which helps rapidly start up the waste breakdown process in the filter. (copied what was on the bottle lol)

Now I just noticed that I have little snails in my tank, I checked the plants before I put them in and found 1 snail and took him away but it looks like these little ones hid from me. Got them out of the tank and hoping that there isn't anymore.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
48 liters is equal to 14 gallons. I guess no pleco for you. I would not mind suggesting bristlenose pleco but a 14g is inadequate for one. They are best kept in tanks 20 gallons or more.

If you can find balloon mollies, those work absolutely fine. No guppies please in case you are tempted into those. The male guppies tend to be viewed by bettas and gouramis alike as rivals and beat them to death.

If you like tetras, try glowlight, neons, green neons, lemons, beacons or kerris. The only drawback with kerris is they're absolute pigs. You need to make sure your betta is getting his share of foods. My kerris would eat foods equal to their body weight.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote