Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #11 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbelle1982 View Post
LOL I never knew all this stuff either before I wanted to start my own tank. Filter start is a bacteria culture, which helps rapidly start up the waste breakdown process in the filter. (copied what was on the bottle lol)

Now I just noticed that I have little snails in my tank, I checked the plants before I put them in and found 1 snail and took him away but it looks like these little ones hid from me. Got them out of the tank and hoping that there isn't anymore.
Okay well unless you have an ammonia source it will die, if it hasn't already. Most bottled bacteria is just a waste of money. I have cycled 5 tanks, and in my experience bottled bacteria made no difference whatsoever.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #12 
ChelseaK

Platy are great community fish. I haven't housed a platy with a male betta but I have I have lots in my community tank with the female sorority. I love my platy almost as much as my bettas :) They are spunky little things
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #13 
bettafreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
48 liters is equal to 14 gallons. I guess no pleco for you. I would not mind suggesting bristlenose pleco but a 14g is inadequate for one. They are best kept in tanks 20 gallons or more.

If you can find balloon mollies, those work absolutely fine. No guppies please in case you are tempted into those. The male guppies tend to be viewed by bettas and gouramis alike as rivals and beat them to death.

If you like tetras, try glowlight, neons, green neons, lemons, beacons or kerris. The only drawback with kerris is they're absolute pigs. You need to make sure your betta is getting his share of foods. My kerris would eat foods equal to their body weight.
Ballon mollies are VERY,VERY agressive trust me.I ended up taking mine back to the petstore where I got mine because he would bite one of my sailfin mollies tail and not let goTetras seem like a good idea though
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #14 
shellbelle1982

turtle 10:- Ah, well it's a good thing that it came free with the aquarium, I was just following the leaflet. I had to test the ph today and it was 7.5 but i'm sure I read somewhere that betta's like 6.5 to 7ph.

Lupin:- I read that guppies were a bad idea and was not interested in them but thanks for the idea's of the balloon mollies, but betta freak story has scared me off of thoses. And thanks for the tip on the tetra's, I like the sound of that.

Chlesea:- thanks for the idea of platys, never thought of them, I'll look them up as well.

bettafreak33:- thanks for the tip of the mollies and the tetras.

I hoping I can get some fish on tuesday as that is day 7 and the booklet sayd that that's the right time to get some as long as the water test comes clear. Crossed fingers!
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #15 
turtle10

Bettas will adjust to basically any ph. Mine is 7.8-8 here and all my fish are fine. It is best to keep a constant ph that is on the higher side than to add chemicals to adjust it, so you don't need to buy any ph changing drops :)

By the way don't go by the booklet, there is no real reason to wait until day 7 lol. The water test should be clear now because you have clean fresh water (unless you put in the bacteria stuff). There is no way you can cycle a tank in 7 days.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #16 
ChelseaK

No problem :)

The only thing with platy is if you get a community of them, they will most likely breed. Now if you don't want any platy fry, your betta will probably eat them, so don't worry :)
I think I have at least three preggos in my tank.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #17 
shellbelle1982

thanks tutle 10, would U suggest waiting or getting the fish in the next 24 hours? The bacteria stuff was last put in yesterday, should of came on here yesterday lol.

chelsea:- i was think of a all guy tank but I can't tell the difference from the boys to the girl in fish, well only the betta's. But if my betta will get rid of babies then that's fine. it can be a protein treat for him lol.

my tank looks great, really happy with it. i'm going to ask what is everyones preffered betta tails as I can't decide on which I would like. It's between a veil and crown. And will have more than one color

Last edited by shellbelle1982; 02-28-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #18 
turtle10

I would say just empty all the water out and start over and get your betta when you want (even today!). The bacteria stuff is completely useless if you put it in the tank with no ammonia source, so just throw it away.

NEVER EVER EVER have an all male betta tank, it would be World War 3!

If your fish have babies, don't count on the betta to eat them. Depending on his/her nature he could either eat them and chase them or leave them alone. Either way, you will most likely have survivors which could eventually over crowd your tank.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #19 
shellbelle1982

Ok, I'll start over again. And I'll get my fish tomorrow. And ok with the non male tank, can't tell anyway what sex it what in the fish world lol knowing my luck I would get both sexes anyway.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #20 
shellbelle1982

Well I went to the LPs and the betta's were out of stock! The next delivery is next tuesday so instead to start the nitigen cycle off I got some platys.

fred and George:- Orange platys
James and yoshi (little nephew named the last one) Blue platys

And they look happy in their new home