Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #31 
shellbelle1982

hey, thanks ansalong,

My tank is not by a window, Looks like it's uneaten food, my fish are pigs though LOL

And I will just have to wait and more water changes then

thanks again
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #32 
shellbelle1982

i'm a very happy camper, the more water changes worked and I also cut down on their food.

the Nitrite level dropped dramatcally after doing all of that. it's at 0.25ppm

but now I'm worried about ph as that is 7.6 and I'm sure I read somewhere that it's got to be 6.5 or 7. can't really remember which one.

Does that calm down on it's own like the nitrites or should I get something for that?

If the nitrite level is 0ppm next monday, I will get my betta!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #33 
turtle10

The ph is just fine. Bettas will adjust to basically any ph. My ph is 7.8 and my bettas are growing and thriving, if that helps.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #34 
shellbelle1982

yes that does help thanks

I finally got my betta and he is beautiful!!!!! A muti-colored veil tail and his name is Harry.

I think there is a power struggle in the tank, the platys start on Harry and then Harry starts on them and vise-virsa but also they could be nice to each other, really weird. My dad says that it will stop when they get used to each other, I just hope that is right.

I tried to get a pic of him on my camera but my camera goes crazy when I go near the tank. always zooms in a out and goes fuzzy.

i want to make him my pic for on here so I will sort out my camera.

Last edited by shellbelle1982; 03-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #35 
shellbelle1982

Oh I just remembered a few question I wanted to ask, I want to put some algae eating shrimp in my tank as I'm stilll getting it even though I'm doing water changes and scrubbing/turning over the gravel and hoovering the gravel and is not near a window.

I have 5 fish at the moment, the 4 platys and the betta and would like to put tetras in too, so how many shrimp can I put in a 10-12 depends on us or uk gallon with 13 fish?

And the other question is that My betta is fussy with food, he only eat the crisps if I break them up and refuses the granuals so is there anything that is a sure winner with bettas?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #36 
turtle10

Live food lol
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #37 
shellbelle1982

this is probably the wrong board but since I have this here I will put my question here

My betta's(Harry) is being nipped and his dorsel fin is torn and I just wonder how long does it grow back, I have seperated him from the others.

Since my female platy got pregnant, my male has been nipping everyone but especially my harry. does males protect the females as this is what is happening, everytime Harry or another fish goes near the female he attacks them. The male never did this with the first time The female got preggers.

I'm at a lost as harry and this male are great tank mates as they use to swim together and play with the thometor

I really don't want to start getting rid of fish as they have been together for 8 weeks now but if I have to well I will for my Harry

it would be great if someone had any advice
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #38 
ansalong

As for growing Harry's fins back, keep him separated and keep his water vey clean. Usually they just need time and clean water. The time to heal fins varies. You can also give him an aquarium salt bath, this worked well for my Betta. Change his water completely every day and when you're preparing his new water add 1tsp per gal aquarium salt. Stop the salt after ten days but keep up your water changes so his water stays clean for him. I only needed a week of this for my fish, but every fish is different.

It's possible your male is protecting his pregnant female. If so, he may become territorial and nippy every time the female is pregnant, and that will no longer be a good place for Harry to live. Do you have a solitary tank he can live in? And do you just have the two platys? You may need to separate them or find a new home for one if you want Harry to live in that tank.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #39 
shellbelle1982

I don't have a solitary tank, don't have to room to be honest with you, it's in my bedroom in the house I share with my parents.

In the tank I have 6 platys, two corys 3 shrimps(Which I thought was eaten, just found them) and Harry

I got Harry in a hatchary that is in the main tank at the moment,

I waas hoping that when the female gives birth to the young The male would stop but if he is like this every time I think I might have to get rid of him or both.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #40 
shellbelle1982

well the male chewed off someones else tail and nipping the female now so he is going!