Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #1 
Capricorn

Two tanks devloping cyanobacteria, advice?

Hey guys! Hope all is well. I sort of need some advice on what to do with my filter media here, let me explain the situation.

A couple weeks ago I helped out a neighbor that had an awful, awful case of cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) in their tank. I caught her fish for her, drained the tank, scrubbed it clean, refilled, and brought them some medication to wipe out the bacteria. They had recently replaced both filter cartridges because there was so much gunk on them, so there was no worry that the antibiotics would destroy their cycle.

Now, although I scrubbed my hands and arms clean, it looks like Nettle's tank (5gal) and my 10gal community tank are just starting to develop some of this stuff. I don't want to end up like my neighbor's tank so I already have what I need to treat it, but there's one problem... my tanks are cycled, and I would really rather not kill my entire bacteria colony running this medication through them.

So, my question is; what can I do to keep my colony alive for the five days that I have to treat the two tanks? If I put each one in a separate container with water from their respective tanks, is that enough? Should I keep them warm and make sure to feed them a little, or would they be fine at room temperature?

Please let me know what you think! I'd rather suffer just a small amount of damage than lose the entire colony.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Thats a bummer...BGA can be a pain....since I don't use antibiotics- I handle the BGA different- by manual removal and water changes along with increased water flow to get lots of water movement going and had it under control in about a week and gone within 2 weeks...no fish, invert or live plant loss.....

But if your plan is to nuke with antibiotics that will kill the nitrifying bacteria......not much you can do....its going to be in the filter media too and so moving the filter and/or media to another tank to keep it alive will just add the BGA to that tank and back to the infected tank....your going to have to cycle again most likely.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
Capricorn

That worked for you? Maybe I can try that since it hasn't gotten really bad yet.. there's just a couple spots in the gravel in both tanks and then some of Nettle's fake and live plants have it on it. The problem with his tank is that the filter isn't that strong, even when left un-baffled.. if I can get a little air stone in there do you think that would be enough to get the flow going a little more?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Most of my tanks don't have filters and I will sometimes get BGA due to that and high nutrients from the soil...I add a strong filter and/or airstone...I like to use my canister filters best because I can point the spray bar toward the worst area and move it as needed without too much water movement on the Bettas and then get my trusty homemade siphon I made with airline hose and a couple of chopsticks attached to make it ridged- I have better control- so I can focus on just the BGA and suck it out-have to go in and manually rub it off some plant leaves and walls to suck it out and net the bigger chunks or sheets of BGA...but with this little siphon I can get more BGA than water...this way I don't end up draining the tank before I get all the BGA...lol....I have to do this every day or so as the BGA develops...but I can get it wiped in less than 2 weeks usually ....
Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

OFL,

With filteration... how do you keep from re-infesting the tank? It seems like a vicous (sp) cycle... :(
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What do you mean?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The tank's infested... you filter the tank... now the tank's infested. You clean the tank, but the filter puts infest water back in. You clean the filter (even remove the filteration material and replace it). The tank re-infests the filter. And so on...

Or am I missing something (that would be my guess, lol)?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The tank's infested... you filter the tank... now the filter's infested. You clean the tank, but the filter puts infest water back in. You clean the filter (even remove the filteration material and replace it). The tank re-infests the filter. And so on...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Now I think I'M INFESTED, LOL!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

That is why you don't want to move the filter or filter media to another tank to try and save the nitrifying bacteria...kinda what I said in my first post.....if that is what you are talking about.....