Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #11 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

OFL,

So it's sort of a battle of attrition, once a tank and filter are infested... clean, new water, clean, new water until it's all gone (hopefully)... and then, new filter materials and re-cycle the tank?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #12 
vaygirl

I do the same thing OFL does. It always comes back but it's because I have a lot of decaying plant matter going on. It's a pain to deal with but if you stay on top of it, it's gone for longer then it's there, if that makes sense?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

That is somewhat correct....sometimes BGA is due to high organic from tanks that are not maintained, overfeeding etc....however, because this bacteria can fix its own nitrogen it can pop up in even the best maintained aquariums....you sometimes have to get ahead of this bacteria and keep it removed and make the environment so that its not happy......and you can then get ahead of it......when I get BGA due to the high nutrients in my tanks and high organic load but low in water movement....I manually remove and increase the water movement...I usually will leave the filter on the tank for at least 2 months after I have removed all visible BGA and it stops returning......I stop making water changes but this is due to the type of tanks I keep...on a regular type of aquarium you would continue to make the regular water changes....I don't change out the filter media because I have the BGA controlled and don't need to and I have yet to have it return to the same tank....I will get an outbreak of BGA when I disturb the soil layer when I do a big change...like pulling lots of plants and replanting...otherwise it never returns to the same tank with or without the same filter and filter media if still used......I make my own filter media and don't change them unless they are falling apart anyway.....and that is 1-2 times a year at most....even though I keep different type of tanks than most people...BGA is the same and treatment is usually effective regardless...even when you use antibiotic for BGA it is important that you remove as much as you can manually first so the death of the bacteria doesn't cause the tank to crash.....but it is a good idea to change out the filter media in regular tanks just to be safe but you will still need to monitor the water prams for spikes for at least a week or so to be safe....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh, I see!

Sorry to sound as thick as a brick, but (thankfully) I haven't had to deal with this... yet.

I do know that the local ponds around here may have blue-green algae in them come summertime, and when it shows up, they close the beaches.

What scares me is how transferable this stuff is! You cleaned your friend's tank and even though you washed, it somehow infested your tanks. That's scary!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #15 
Capricorn

Yeah, I was a little upset when I saw it forming, haha. xD If it were one of the tanks I could understand it forming like OFL said, but since it's two of them I'm assuming that this is where is came from.. it is a bacteria after all. The fish all seem okay right now, though, and that's my biggest priority. In my neighbor's tank all four sides plus the bottom were covered in about 1/4"-1/2" of the stuff.. she told me that they would clean the tank and then two days later it was back again. Was really, really awful and smelled disgusting. xD
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Note to self: Avoid blue green algae!

Capricorn,

Poor you! :[

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #17 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Capricorn,

I re-read that and it sounds a little flippant!

Let's try that again, LOL:

I can imagine how awful to find it in your tanks, and sincerely wish you luck terminating it!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #18 
Capricorn

Hahaha I figured that's what you meant xDD Thanks!
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #19 
vaygirl

Is it significant that the two tanks I have it in are the only two that have regular gravel vs. my other tanks with substrate made for planted tanks? I'm thinking about changing out the substrate, hoping this will help. The reason there's a lot of plant matter in both is that suddenly healthy plants will dissolve. I vacuum every week but there's always more gunk then I can keep up with.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #20 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I have used In-Line UV Sterilizers on big tanks. It might be cost prohibitive on small tanks. I am actually looking for you on something for a small tank.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote