Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

When it is localize like that my best guess would be some type of external parasite.....
Or irritant in the water....can you tell if he is making more or heavier slime coat???
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #12 
cjayBetta

How do i check?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #13 
cjayBetta

As for an irritant in the water I have 2 other betta's aswell who are doing GREAT
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Are they all in the same yet divided tank or is this one in a tank all his own......they can sometimes react different to the same things......if he is making more slime coat he may have a cloudy look to him or even slime sloughing off his body......you may want to look up the common external parasite and see what the best medication or treatment would be....I don't use pesticide and so I can't recommend anything.....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #15 
cjayBetta

5g all by himself, Windu has a 5g and CoCo has a 2.5g. There is no slimy stuff on him at all. Ill look it up... If I cant find anything that matches do you have any other thoughts on his condition.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #16 
cjayBetta

EXTERNAL PARASITES Symptoms: Large ugly sores on body
Skin looks grey in patches.
Fish is lethargic
Fins are torn & jagged
Fish swim aimlessly.
May have spasms.
Loss of appetite
Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #17 
cjayBetta

He does none of this Im so confused and the best treatment is a salt dip, which I did before he went to to the new tank just in case.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

That is an extreme case of external parasites...sign/symptom can vary with the type of parasite and how bad/long they have been infected...also, the fish own immune response plays a role....not saying external parasite is the problem-it could also be a reaction to something in his tank, the water....generally some type of irritant that is causing the sign/symptom you are seeing in your fish.

I would try a 10day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment in QT...you want to get him out of that tank...this will rule out anything inside the tank as a cause, use a bit more of the dechlorinator with the 100% daily water changes or even better get a different type of dechlorinator and see if that makes a difference........sometimes its a trial and error...rule one thing out at a time....don't judge this Betta against the other Bettas....they are individuals after all.......they can have different tolerance levels.......

I would pre-mix the aquarium salt 1-2tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...this will make the daily 100% water changes and correct dosage of salt easier...I would start with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and if no improvement by day 4-I would increase the salt to 2tsp/gal to complete the 10 days...at any time his condition gets worse or changes I would change treatments and try something else
I would also add fresh garlic juice into his diet, although it take 6weeks for full effect of garlic fed orally...its a start.......
Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #19 
cjayBetta

I will start him straight away :D thanks for your help. I will update if anything happens (Good or bad)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #20 
cjayBetta

I just did half a water change in chewies tank and now he seems not to be Flashing.... maybe it is something in the water... should i do a full?