Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Aquascape opinions

My package from www.plantedaquariumscentral.com arrived!!! So immediately went to work planting the 10 gallon bachelor pad (see my journal thread for full details). It turns out I had enough extras to plant my 3 gallon eclipse as well!! No having to wait which means in a couple weeks I can put in another order and get the girls' tank done faster as well!!

Ok.. so here are pics of the preliminary aquascapes of both the 10 and 3 gallon. Please do give your opinions because I want the plants to do as well as they possibly can and I also want the fish to have plenty of hiding spots.

My first thoughts are that the penny wort may be too big to do well in such small sections (at least the bunch in the second section from the right). I could move it into my 10 gallon and move some smaller plants from there into that section. I also think the far right section needs another small fore/mid ground plant (there's a lace java fern your not seeing in the pics). I have a crypt in my other 10 gallon that I think would look nice there.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. The water is a little murky from stirring up all the sediment.

Here's the 3 gallon. Is the wood too large? It's been sitting in my grow out tank so the poor Anubias nana petite are looking poorly but they're firmly attached as well as some small java fern babies from my mother fern in the community tank. I know the background looks bad. I just did one coat of black pain on the back last night before bed so I need to finish it up so there aren't any holes for light to get into.

The plant in front is the tropica sword :) since Laura said they like light I put it in the spot where it'll get the most light.

I may end up transferring the contents of the 3 gallon to a 5 gallon instead.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 
beat2020

Looks good

I like the look of the 3g. The wood add that "natural" feel and I really like the Tropica sword.

I would LOVE to do a planted tank in the future. :)
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #3 
monroe0704

I know nothing on aquatic plants but I do think that all your tanks are very well balanced. I think the wood is the perfect size! Any smaller and the tank would look empty, any larger and it'd look crammed. Pretty!!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Thanks for the complements :) I really like the look of the 3 gallon but I tend to use objects too big for the space (or so I'm told). After the Rotalia indica and the bacopa australis fill in the background (hopefully!) it should look much fuller and dense. I may add a crypt or something after I get some more feed back.

The 10 gallon will house Dan, Tallahassee, Bowie, and Bubba (not sure in what order yet). And the 3 gallon is General Lee's home.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I think everything looks great. That wood is the PERFECT size for the 3 gallon.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Now comes the hard part. Waiting while the tanks cycle before putting the fish in :p. Shouldn't be too long but they're just so pretty I want to put fish in now! LOL

I still need to paint the back of the 10 gallon and finish the back of the 3 so that'll give me someting to do over the next week.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #7 
JKfish

Wow 1F2F, that looks amazing! I'm so jealous, it all looks so nice~ :D
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Don't be jealous yet. The real test is if I can keep them alive and growing! Today I'm putting root tabs in near the rooted plants and adding all of my flourish stuff (I have comprehensive, excel, trace, and iron). Hopefully that and the excess ammonia that is in the tank because it's cycling will give the plants a good head start.

I finished painting the back of the 3 gallon and it looks SO good. I can't wait to put Lee back in the tank. He's gonna love it. I think I'm also going to put a nerite snail in there to help with algae control.