*Sipping Tea*

Water Test as of an hour ago...

PH 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0

*Bows*

Yet... None of the plants look well... *Ponders*
Hornwort probably the healthiest as it's growing like crazy.
Javafern still the same as always... lovely.
Ricca keeps falling apart but the small parts are alive.
Ana (Red plant) getting very pale...
Pennywort detached from bottom... not rotting but as if it's just not happy.

Could most of these plants just be adjusting?

The Banana plants seem to be fine, their leaves are changing color BUT their roots are spreading well.

Drax himself?
A pig as always...

*Sips tea*

I'm getting Ghost Shrimp today so help me lord I'm getting Ghost Shrimp and a few snails... *Glares* You can't stop me.
BTW eh... on the Sand... not till spring break or something. I'm MUCH too busy to want to take the tank apart and put in a substrate. When I get the Cories someday I will...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #2 
scootshoot

Are you still using the "LED" lighting that came with your tank?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Are you still using the "LED" lighting that came with your tank?
*Looks away not giving eye contact*

Yes...
Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 
scootshoot

Some plant grow lamps come as LED so not trying to say that is the source of your plant issues.

Here is an informative article... http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

Small excerpt...
What Kelvin rating for Plants & Corals;
Here are some observations made by me and others in the professional aquarium maintenance community, some of these are simple observations, while others were based on more controlled tests.

*The 6500 Kevin bulbs have produced the best freshwater plant growth (as this Kelvin lamp generally has more of the infrared nm spike need by "higher" plants, but still has some of the 425-500 nm blue).
This Kelvin Lamp can also work with SPS, LPS placed high in the tank water column (nearest the lights) based on the symbiotic zooxanthellae needs found in these corals. For more depth penetration (& to aid in the first blue spike in PAR, please see PAR section), blue actinic, 50,000 K/Actinic or adjustable/multiple LED can be added (such as AquaBeam Marine Blue) can balance out 6500K lamp if used in marine reef tanks.

Congrats on your soon to be Ghost Shrimp!! you gonna love these guys, real interesting little shrimp. Buy the small ones, not too small that Drax may think it's brine shrimp. Their average lifespan is about half that of betta's.

Last edited by scootshoot; 01-29-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #5 
DormDrax

... that article makes no sense to me...

Well...

I now have a dozen Ghost Shrimp in the tank. They all survived the transport.

Several small ones and several LARGE ones.

Then one medium Snail. He's sorta a dark blue color with chocolate stripes. He finally opened up and is now cruising around the bottom of the tank.

Odd... Drax seems to be very interested in all of them but only stalks one Shrimp... the LARGE one. Already the largest one attacked Drax.. on accident as when he landed on Drax they both flipped out and went different ways.

SADLY when I break a few pellets apart and drizzle them down to those new guys... Drax DROPS whatevers he's doing and just finds every last bit of food and eats it. HE'S ALREADY BEEN FED DANGIT! It's like he wants to starve the other guys...

NAMES?

Snail: Desi

Four LArgest Shrimp: Larry, Curly, Moe, Bertha (She's female)

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Do you have a spare lamp on hand? If so you could use the spare lamp, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 20 or 25 watt Daylight (6,500 K (it usually says the K rating on the package somewhere) Compact Fluorescent (swirly) lightbulb to put in it.

You could aim that at your tank and keep most of your plants on the side with the lamp. that might help them grow more. =]

I also advise fertilizing your plants regularly if you don't already. It's hard for a plant to get all the nutrients it needs in a closed system if there aren't a lot of fish in there to naturally dose your tank with ammonia. That Hornwort is probably out competing your other plants.. Especially if they don't have planting substrate such as fluorite, ADA aquasoil, or miracle grow organic potting mix with a small sand cap.

API's Leafzone will help them out some. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Some plant grow lamps come as LED so not trying to say that is the source of your plant issues.

Here is an informative article... http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

Small excerpt...
What Kelvin rating for Plants & Corals;
Here are some observations made by me and others in the professional aquarium maintenance community, some of these are simple observations, while others were based on more controlled tests.

*The 6500 Kevin bulbs have produced the best freshwater plant growth (as this Kelvin lamp generally has more of the infrared nm spike need by "higher" plants, but still has some of the 425-500 nm blue).
This Kelvin Lamp can also work with SPS, LPS placed high in the tank water column (nearest the lights) based on the symbiotic zooxanthellae needs found in these corals. For more depth penetration (& to aid in the first blue spike in PAR, please see PAR section), blue actinic, 50,000 K/Actinic or adjustable/multiple LED can be added (such as AquaBeam Marine Blue) can balance out 6500K lamp if used in marine reef tanks.

Congrats on your soon to be Ghost Shrimp!! you gonna love these guys, real interesting little shrimp. Buy the small ones, not too small that Drax may think it's brine shrimp. Their average lifespan is about half that of betta's.
Thanks for that link btw Scootshoot! :D I have to admit I only skimmed but I LOVED the info on those new SHO CFLs that are out now! I DEFINITELY wanna get some for my apartment and home! A lightbulb that helps your mental function and immune system?!?!? Sign me up! :D

The link scootshoot provided is better but here's one that's focused only on Kelvin rating and color temperature of light. I advise simply skipping the rest and moving straight to the Aquaculture section. (but I simply like to cut straight to what I know I'm gonna use! XD You're free to do as you please of course! =])
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
... that article makes no sense to me...
In simpler terms vast majority of Plant issues is due to lighting....Look up the specs of the lighting setup and focus on the K rating

Try breaking up the shrimp pellets up in small pieces and spread em out in the tank.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #9 
DormDrax

*Wakes up with 'Leave it to Beaver' music playing in background*

Hello Tank!

*Music Stops*

ACK! WHAT HAPPENED!

Two large shrimp fighting over the carcus of what looks like another shrimp, the snail is nowhere to be found, and Drax looks like he's just witnessed something horrible with his very... "OMG TOO SCARED CAN'T TALK!" swimming.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

DromDrax,

"ACK! WHAT HAPPENED!

Two large shrimp fighting over the carcus of what looks like another shrimp, the snail is nowhere to be found, and Drax looks like he's just witnessed something horrible with his very... "OMG TOO SCARED CAN'T TALK!" swimming."

Yeah... I've seen this show before... :(
Happened in my five gallon tank.

The shrimp will kill each other off, sadly. The females, btw, are usually the larger when full grown, males are smaller. Why they do this is the ultimate question.

Some people state that the tank size is an issue and if they feel crowded, they will 'depopulate' themselves. I find this theroy interesting, as thinking back, the ghost shrimp I had came from a tank that had hundreds of them in there (it was really cool when the tank was opened... all the little shrimp looked up together! It looked like a concert crowd watching aliens drop from the sky, lol).

Get the dead body out of there ASAP so your water quality doesn't go south. You may get a survior or two out of the bunch, or they may finish each other off OR Drax might get the taste for shrimp (my betta did).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least now you know what might go down...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote