Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #11 
Guppie luver

ok so this is not it but it looks kinda like it
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #12 
1fish2fish

I'm not familiar with algae eaters but that does look similar to a Chinese Algae Eater.. in which case that's bad news. CAE get huge and aggressive as they get older. Not a good tankmate for a betta.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #13 
shinybetta

That is a chinese algea eater. They can get large (over 1/2 a foot) and suck your fishes slime coat, eventually killing them from diseases. My neighbor lost multiple goldfish to this menace. I wouldn't put anything but small fast moving fish with it.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #14 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The ones most sold in petstores are common pleco and they WILL get big.
I know commons get huge, but I am just talking general size of most pleco species.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #15 
Guppie luver

ok and she thinks she lost her goldfish to it but im not sure and she is going to seperat it from the betta but if it gets that big then thats a problem and she cant get a bigger tank so will it DIE so please say no and yes because she loves it but she realy wants a betta so this is a HUGE problem
Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #16 
shinybetta

It too small of a tank it will eventually die. They can stop their outsides from growing but not their insides. You can guess what happens after that.....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #17 
Guppie luver

you mean that it will like EXPLODE is that what you mean ? and can i let it grow and then it will die then she can get a betta because thats all she talks about
Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #18 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
That is a chinese algea eater. They can get large (over 1/2 a foot) and suck your fishes slime coat, eventually killing them from diseases. My neighbor lost multiple goldfish to this menace. I wouldn't put anything but small fast moving fish with it.
Yep, def a Chinese Algae Eater. I have only one with my pleco in my goldfish tank. I am very lucky this one does not cause harm to my goldfish. She follows the pleco around most of the day plus I feed them very well.

I did have one in the past that I had in my 55gal goldfish tank. It was a mean little thing and cause so much dress to my Black Moor he got multiple issues. He had to be treated for 3 weeks and his tail was a wreck.

Its sucks that those fish are like that cause they do an awesome job at cleaning >.<

And wow! I have never heard of them getting that big. Mine is about 3inches and I have had it for a year.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #19 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppie luver View Post
you mean that it will like EXPLODE is that what you mean ? and can i let it grow and then it will die then she can get a betta because thats all she talks about
You are willing to let the goldfish die so she can get a betta? WTF is wrong with you!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #20 
Guppie luver

no they died before i found out what the f she had she never told me so i didnt now and i have told her that it might not be a good idea