Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which do you use for your betta tank(s)?
Sand 13 18.31%
Gravel 37 52.11%
Marbles 9 12.68%
Other 3 4.23%
Mixed 7 9.86%
Nothing, clean barebottom glass. 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #11 
cadi731

I've used gravel since I first got my betta, but I've had bad experiences with it. I don't know if I just didn't clean it enough, or what, but every time I cleaned his tank and put the gravel back in, the tank was foggy the next day. I switched to marbles, because I figured they'd be easier to clean, and so far, it's not foggy. I've had them for a couple days now.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't try sand. It may look pretty, but I think it would be a real pain to take out and put back in when you clean the tank.
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #12 
TaylorW

I'm one of the few bare-bottom people it seems :P I had gravel, but since I live in a dorm with one bathroom for the whole floor, I would have to carry the heavy tank down the hall to the bathroom. And it was a pain to get the poo and food out of the gravel.

So I'm bare bottom tank person for convince purposes. But I am considering painting the glass bottom blue or black! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #13 
Cravenne

Some people like to talk, or type, just to try and prove how smart they are. They respond to a simple question with a list of 15 things that you need to purchase, or what you're doing wrong. They are everywhere...including this site.
Idiots.

In any case..I use gravel. I used to have planted tanks using eco-complete, but I really prefer the gravel.
I have one boy in a small tank..under 2. I tossed a handful of gravel in from a larger tank and a few small pebbles.
I'd say that for larger tanks, I prefer gravel but small tanks that need frequent 100% changes, I like the bare or 'marbles' bottom...purely for ease of cleaning.
Also..
I planted a few small crypts in little terra cotta pots( from the dollar store). I have those in the small tank to offer hidey places and leaves to rest on. You just remove the whole pot for cleaning! it's great.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I sure hope I'm not one of them. I used to have gravel but it made a mess, or rather, I made a mess with it. lol I have bare bottomed tanks because they're easier to clean. To each his own.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #15 
Irish Dancing Man

I voted gravel cause thats what i use in my 3 and my 2 and a half gallon tanks. But its kinda borring. (Picture shown, kinda dark sorry)

I have this big thing of bright marbels i wanna put in the 5 gallon im gonna get but i dont know if its safe (Picture shown, it would be kool)
Would those marbels be safe in a fish tank? (ya, id clean em up)
Attached Images

Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #16 
kgplucker

I use a mixture of marbles and gravel in one tank. All blues and whites. I like the marbles but needed the gravel to help hold down the plants. Ended up liking the way it looks! My other 2 tanks have gravel. I also do not like the way a bare bottom tank looks. I used sand when I was into reefkeeping, not interested in using that for freshwater. I tried using live plants but really didn't know what I was doing and have gone back to silk. Sounds like your fish is happy and you are concerned about herwelfare - that's the best you can do!
kgplucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #17 
Irish Dancing Man

[quote=kgplucker;619783]I use a mixture of marbles and gravel in one tank. All blues and whites. I like the marbles but needed the gravel to help hold down the plants. Ended up liking the way it looks! My other 2 tanks have gravel. I also do not like the way a bare bottom tank looks. I used sand when I was into reefkeeping, not interested in using that for freshwater. I tried using live plants but really didn't know what I was doing and have gone back to silk. Sounds like your fish is happy and you are concerned about herwelfare - that's the best you can do![/QUOTE

and he.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote