Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Arrow Good Food?

so, i'm slowly running out of foods. >.>; the ones i DO have alot of, are the New Life Spectrum Grow, and the NLS Betta formula. with Cup, i can't feed him the Grow, because they're so tiny, he gets more air in his belly than pellets, and bloats and floats. the rest of my crew can eat them just fine.

i also have a new, special needs betta(a pure white HMPK named Theodore, who's partly blind, which i didn't know until i got him home. >.>;), and he can't see the Grow pellets. i've been feeding him Attison's betta pellets, which he seems to enjoy and be able to find before they sink down and get lost in the rocks(i'm going to give him a bare bottomed tank soon). the NLS Betta pellets, he couldn't see until they started sinking, then he'd not recognize them as food, until they were lost on the bottom.

so, i'm looking for a new food for my crew(Theo especially), and while i was getting Theo his 2.5 tank, i noticed the lps carries this brand now:
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/betta-food.htm

is that a good brand of pellets? around here, it's either that, Wardely's Betta Pellets(which i have a can of from when i got Cup), Hikari Betta Bio Gold, Tetra brand pellets, or Omega One flakes. i know everyone on here says Omega One is a wonderful brand, but none of my babies have ever eaten flakes before. >.>;

i want the best for my babies, since i spoil them as best i can. food, is the biggest issue i have with pampering them, since there's no Petsmart or Petco nearby, and out of the three places nearby that sell pet supplies, i only have Walmart(which sells the Wardley's), and Pet Lover's(which sells the Aqueon, Tetera, Hikari, and Omega One). i'd order some more Attion's off the internet, but i only have $.18 on my paypal, and my sister decided my paypal isn't good enough for her, and took her bank info off it(i laugh at her now).

any food help is wonderful. i can get them frozen foods as well, which i'm wanting to do now that i know the pet store has them. when i got Theo, they were out of blood worms, which made me sad. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #2 
bamsuddenimpact

I full heartedly recommend those pellets. All three of my boys love those pellets. They even start almost convulsing when they see the container with excitement haha

EDIT: And by those, I mean the Aqueon ones xD
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i'm just worried about how healthy they are. the pellets i have them on now are supposed to be the best of the best. >3> and, i'm wondering how well they float, too.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

TBH Aqueon isn't the best food. It's not crap but there are better foods for your buck. But since you can't order foods offline it's probably your best bet.

I'll be getting a big shipment of different foods in very soon. I could probably put together a little baggie of different ones to send to you once they get here.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #5 
Luimeril

thanks a million, 1fish. i've been feeding Theo the Attison's, since it floats longer than the others. Cup is my special boy, too. if i feed him certain things, he bloats up bad from them. :/ i'm glad Theo picked up fast on the fact that taking the cover off his tank, means food!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 
RiverStoneBetta

I used to feed my boys the Aqueon Pellets. They're good in a more balanced, varied diet, but not by themselves. I still have what I had left over for backup, or in case someone I know gets their own betta.

I just switched to the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. First feeding was like normal. Second feeding, Quinn lunged from across his tank to yet the first pellet that dropped in. He's eating them with as much gusto as his bloodworms. I can't really tell a difference in Boba, because he leaps for his food to begin with. But the switch was successful, and I feel better about the ingredients. You can't eliminate things like wheat meal completely, but the first 3 ingredients are seafood, and the binder is a protein, so I'm happier.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
turtle10

Always make sure at least the first two ingredients are seafood.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #8 
tsoto80

maybe someone could make a list of best to worst brands of pellets I have top fin betta bits they all seem to like it....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

Those are ok but not great, they also sink really quickly. I've had a lot of success with omega pellets. I also have the flakes because I didn't read the label properly and thought they were pellets. The fish liked them but I have only fed them a few times because I don't want them to contaminate the water. Avoid Hikari, they have really gone downhill.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i still have Hikari, but those are my "one day every two weeks" pellets.

thanks, guys. :d i like pampering my bettas with the best food i can afford, and soon, i plan on getting them some frozen bloodworms. <3

Tags
food