Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

Hey Lui.. I got my food today so I can send you a little baggy. It'll have NLS grow, NLS betta, Atison's Betta, and Omega One.

Its a bag I've been feeding out of but I don't like the Omega One (because you have to crush it.. and that's too time consuming for me LOL) but it's still good. I'll add a little new food into it as well so you'll at least have a month or so's worth (probably much more).

Just PM me your address and I can drop it in mail to you Tuesday or Wednesday when I go to pick up my new females.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #22 
Luimeril

thanks a million! <3 the only food i seem to have plenty of, is the antibiotic pellets i was given! xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #23 
iheartmybettas

What sucks is that fish.com has the Hikari pellets super cheap and like 2 months ago I ordered like 4 big packs. Geez! They will probably last my fish a lifetime.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #24 
Luimeril

i avoid Hikari, since the formula changed. x-X my babies are spoiled, off New Life Spectrum Betta formula and grow, and Atison's betta pellets, with the occasional Hikari pellets(only 4, one day, every two weeks or more).
Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #25 
1fish2fish

The hikari isn't THAT bad. I just dug up a pack that someone sent me along with some other stuff and it breaks down to

38% Protein
4% Crude Fat
3% Crude Fiber
12% Ash (which is sort of a lot)
10% Moisture
.7% Phosphorus

That's pretty similar to what my NLS betta breaks down to. The only difference is NLS has more seafood ingredients and also vitamins. The Hikari also has more artificial ingredients.

I wouldn't go as far to say that if you have Hikari (even the new version) that you need to throw it out right away. Unless your keeping your fish in breeding condition or trying to bring a sick fish back to health I think Hikari along with a varied diet should be fine.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #26 
Luimeril

the people on UB sure make it seem like an evil food that should be trashed now. i feed my darlings so little of it, because i can usually find the packets of NLS or Atison's easier than the packet of Hikari. xD
Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #27 
1fish2fish

It's on the lower end of the food spectrum but if you are okay with feeding your fish Topfin, Wardleys, Aquaculture, and Freeze dried foods I don't see why hikari should be any different as it's pretty much the same as any of those brands.

The issue is it's not made of anything REAL. Just like in dog food where you want to see lamb, chicken, etc.. in fish food you want to see stuff you recognize like krill and salmon, etc.

You can definitely smell the difference. If I accidentally leave my NLS grow open my whole room smells like seafood when I get home from work... any of the brands I listed above wouldn't do that.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #28 
Luimeril

that's some good food, then! i can totally smell the difference, and i only have little medicine packets of 'good' food. Theo can smell it, too. :3 he goes for Atison's betta pellets and NLS grow before anything else, like he can smell them better.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, the NLS smells pretty strong. lol Luimeril, don't pay any attention to those UB people. They can be pretty fanatical about stuff.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food