Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #1 
DocnGamz

New here- Delta boys

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I joined up to ask a few questions, but I figured the best way to introduce myself would be with some pics

Doc, my Delta male. It had been quite a few years since I'd owned a betta, and I really hadn't planned on getting one, but he caught my eye on a visit to Petco to pickup a new training treat pouch for my dog. I'd never seen such a gorgeous white before! Of course now that he's been here a couple weeks and on a good diet, he's started to sort of turn a super light shade of pearly/pastel pink... which is cool, especially considering I purchased him on Valentines day!

And Gamzee, my second Delta male. Gamz was another "accidental" purchase. I went into a little local pet store to pick up some stuff for Doc, and wouldn't you know it... I left with another fish! I loved his ultra dark eyes and lips... looks like he's wearing eyeliner and lipstick! He's a little nervy though, so I can't ever get a good frontal shot of his face (I had to pose him next to Doc just to get him to stay out in the open for a while!)

Right now their tank setups aren't all that great, so I'm in the process of setting up a nice 20 gallon tank that I'm going to divide between them. Which is actually why I'm here, as I really want to make sure I'm doing everything right for them!
DocnGamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

They are looking good, very pretty! :) A split 20 gallon is great, just make sure the divider is nice, tight and secure with no gaps or openings a curious betta could sneak through.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf

I love the first one!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 
coolcucumber

I think dividing a 20 would be great :) If you could, its always better to get your bettas seperate tanks, so two 10s. I understand this isnt always possible, ive divided my tank aswell :) so what you want to do when you divide a tank is:

Make sure it doesnt have a bow-front. i know it sounds dumb, but i know a few people who got bowfronts and tried to divide, and had a gap in the front.

So, a standard rectangle is alot better. Let the divider plastic, or whatever you use to divide, reach up to the hood of the tank (Make sure you have a hood!) I learned this the hard way, and my betta jumped over and attacked the other.. now i've got two bettas with not much fin left. they are, however, coming along, and their fins are growing back :D

I think thats all you should know. you dont need to glue the divider in, i havent, and havent had any issues exept the jumping.

Good luck with your future tank! Im sure your bettas will love all the extra space
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 
leaveittoweaver

Gorgeous boy!
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #6 
DocnGamz

Thanks guys!

I actually already had the tank... a million years ago I used to have it stocked with Neons, but just never restocked it when they finally all passed away. Its a pretty nice tank- long (forgetting the length measurements now!), 12" deep. I still had the filter/heater/air filter, so I figured... why not?

Right now I'm in the process of cycling it. I'd forgotten how dull the process is!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Your boys are HM instead of Deltas... very nice boys.
Yeah, cycling is a drag but great for your fishies!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #8 
DocnGamz

Oh! I was just going by what the store told me (for Doc anyway, they didn't actually say what Gamzee was... I just assumed because he looked like Doc, they were the same type!). Admittedly I'm very not savvy about the different morphs!

Very cool, thanks!