Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #101 
skywillig

No, he is still stationary, but he "moved" his stationaryness to the top of the upper floor, it worries me a little since the water level barely covers him fully.
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #102 
cjayBetta

May take him a few days of warm water to perk up.... Could u take a few pics of him?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #103 
skywillig

Camera flash:

Cellphone light:

Top view:
Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #104 
cjayBetta

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/velvet_betta.php

Thats my thought... Maybe start him on an AQ salt treatment for 10 days... All you have to do is take a pop(soda) bottle and put a half teaspoon of aquarium salt in it and fill it with dechlorinated and let it dissolve. Pour it into a small ish cup and attach it to the side of your betta's main tank (so the water in the cup is the same temperature as the main tank) put him in there. Change the water 100% every day for those 10 days(with the salt water). I think that will really help him.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #105 
cjayBetta

that yellowish color is velvet and your betta has that weird yellowish color.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #106 
skywillig

I asked my breeder friend about this disease, he knows better than me what we have locally and what we don't. This is what he suggested, I'm not starting to treat before you guys okay it anyway.

He told me to use a 2 liter PET bottle to keep the fish while treating. (seems nice because changing 100% of 20 liters daily while I don't have a siphon yet seems a lot of work)
To add to the water a dash of regular salt (aquarium salt can only be purchased at large 1kg quantities).
And to add also two other medicines that they sell at my local fish store: one is called "aqualife" and the other is called "anti ictio". I have no idea what the names of those would be in English, I tried googling it with no success.
The Aqualife I already have and I used it to treat this same fish's fin rot. The webpage of the manufacturer (http://www.labcon.com.br/peixesaquar...s/aqualife.htm) mentions it is used to treat "velvet" also.
This other one I cannot find info on, but google says "Ictio" is "Ichthyophthirius multifilis".

My friend advised to keep the fish from any light on the first three days, and I should re-treat for another 3 days if the first 3 days don't work.

I have no idea what "dechlorinated" is? Is it just water?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #107 
LolaQuigs

Ichthyophthirius multifilis aka ich is a parasite, not the same as velvet, though I believe velvet is also a parasite. Ich looks like tiny white dots on a fish.

I tend to prefer using natural methods to treat fish rather than medicines because medicines can be harsh. I've healed ich with aquarium salt but have no experience and very little knowledge about velvet, so hopefully someone who knows a little more about velvet can give you some treatment guidelines.

Declorinated just means that you added conditioner to it.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #108 
skywillig

I don't understand whether in the treatment suggested by cjay the fish would continue in the tank or would be moved to the small container inside the tank?

Also is putting the fish in a completely dark room be of any use? Could I just cover the aquarium instead?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #109 
LolaQuigs

I think cjay was recommending you put him in a small quarantine container and float that container inside his tank so he stays warm. Covering the tank with towels should be fine.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #110 
skywillig

I just read something on this website -Portuguese sorry (http://www.vidaaquatica.com.br/cp/lo...eb/doencas.asp) that recommends the same two medicines my friend told me about, it says the "anti ictio" medicine would work on any common parasites rather than JUST the ictio one.

Okay, now I understand the quarantine idea. I still need insights on the treatment, the aquarium salt is not a viable idea, and all salt here is iodized. Should I go out tomorrow and buy the anti parasite medicine? How would I go about treating the whole aquarium water to kill this velvet thing (even once the fish is gone, surely the rocks and plants would be infected (?). What is that I can do right now with what I have at hand? Is this deadly?