Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #21 
turtle10

That is most definitely too tiny for a fish.

Breeders sometimes jar fry in small containers like that, but that is only until they are sold. 3 liters, much less 2, is way to small for any living creature to live in.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #22 
BettaHeart

hes pretty... you just did a water change so maybe relax alittle and keep an eye on him what is the temperature usually in your place?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #23 
BettaHeart

how much did you feed him? maybe dont feed him for the rest of the day and part of tomorrow....
Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #24 
c4talys7

If it helps any, some fish stores have critter keepers. They look like this:

They sell them for pretty cheap at a fish store near me, like a 5 gal for $15 I think? There's usually some heaters you can get for them too. I noticed that there's no place for him to hide in the tank you have now, I would try and get a silk plant if not a live one to help comfort him.

Also, if you have like a WalMart near you, you can get a Tupperware bin by rubbermaid or something. I used that for a temporary bin while I had my bigger tank cycling for my Bettas, they work great! Cheap too. Can get like a 3gal one for a few dollars, possibly cheaper than the critter keeper.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #25 
LolaQuigs

Oh, I didn't realize you were in Brazil sorry! Some plastic storage containers are good, but the cheaper ones can be dangerous so you might want to avoid them just to be safe. If you can find some that are made to hold food, those might be less likely to have any toxic elements, but I don't know if you'll be able to find 1+ gallon food storage containers. If you have a large glass vase (with a wide opening) around the house, that could also work as a temporary fix. If you do find something to use, make sure you rinse it really really really well. Anyway, these are just a few possibilities for what you could do until he can get a larger home. If none of them seem like decent options for your situation, just keep up with very frequent water changes until you have the means to get a new tank.

He's a very pretty fish. It doesn't look like he has signs of dropsy, which is good. He does look like he might have a bit of fin rot though.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #26 
c4talys7

Yeah I had a 2.5gal jar I used for one of mine. Didn't realize you were in the U.S. so idk if you have rubbermaid or sterilite because those are safe. But yeah, if you have a glass container that would work.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #27 
skywillig

He has had fin rot many months ago. It's fixed now, but his fins never grew back.

Those critter containers are TO DIE FOR, here I have to make my own, and they are not as cheap. But again, I'm in Brazil so brands and stores are not of any use for me.

The temperature, of the water I'm not sure, but the ambient is always from 25 Celsius to 32 Celsius. Right now it's 27.

I gave him five pellets in the morning but he only ate three.
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #28 
cjayBetta

You could always order a 2.5 online or even check second hand stores.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #29 
BettaHeart

then maybe keep it at three pellets from now on if thats all he will eat.
umm... alittle aquarium salt might help as well if you have any.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #30 
skywillig

I have a glass terrarium (made at the fish store) that is currently not in use. It has weird "floors" like this though:

the lid on top is just mesh. I have cats in my house.
Would this be a better alternative? I'm not certain yet it can retain water, but I think it must since it was made at the aquarium store...
Do I layer all the layers with rocks and stuff? Or just the bottom? How would I go about cleaning this? Ive never had a bigger than 3L fish tank.
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote