Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #41 
BettaHeart

you can use a turkey baster or as i used to use a measuring cup
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #42 
LolaQuigs

What you've heard about gravel and hygiene may have been about the cycle. In smaller tanks the cycle isn't as important because you need to do frequent water changes no matter what, but in 5+ gallon thanks, cycling, or establishing a colony of beneficial ammonia-consuming bacteria, can help keep your tank's parameters stable and you won't have to do water changes as frequently. You need a filter to cycle your tank-it gives the bacteria a place to flourish-and having gravel or sand will give your tank another place for those bacteria to breed. If you do opt for gravel you can use a gravel vacuum to siphon the water out during a change. If you go for a bare bottom tank you can probably just siphon it out with airline tubing. Either way it's much easier than dumping it all out !
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #43 
skywillig

@LolaQuigs
So in a 5 gallon (which is my terrarium) I need a filter? Or can I go without a filter? Is it possible to turn this into a permanent home for my betta?
I have a picture of the think filled up with 20L of water.

skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #44 
LolaQuigs

You mentioned that the reason you couldn't get a tank is because of the cost, so I assume you don't have a bunch of money lying around for a filter. An unfiltered 5 gallon is fine, but once you do have some cash on hand it would definitely be worthwhile to invest in one. Without a filter I would say you'd need twice weekly water changes--one 50% and one 100%. If you do get a filter, keep up that schedule for at least a month while your tank cycles. Once it is cycled you can get by with one 50% water change per week.

The size of that tank is perfect for a betta! I'm glad to see it holds water nicely. My only concern would be that he might have a hard time coming up for air. I can't tell from that angle, how far do the different levels stick out? If he was at the very front of the tank and swam straight up, would he hit his head on any of the platforms, or would he reach the surface without a problem?

Since it is clear glass, he might get trapped under a level, thinking he's at the top when he's really not. I would put some dark gravel or marbles on each level so he can tell the difference between the glass platforms and the actual surface of the water...if that makes sense lol. Then moniter him closely and make sure that he is definitely able to find his way to the top without any trouble.

If it does seem like he can't easily find the surface, or if you find that it is difficult to add a filter (if/when you're able) and a heater with that particular layout, you might be able to use an exacto knife or razor to remove one or more levels.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #45 
skywillig

The levels only reach the back part of the tank. From the top it looks like this:

I'm sure the levels will hold gravel nicely, they were made to hold wood chips.
I'm not going to be able to monitor him through the day though, I am only home at night.
Maybe there are other ways I can "signalize" to the fish that he can't come up that way?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #46 
BettaHeart

place a row of marbles along the edge of the levels and spread alittle all over them so he can see and know that marbles don just sit in mid-air lol
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #47 
LolaQuigs

Oh as long as there is plenty of room in front and you cover each later in something dark you should be fine. Just put him in when you get off work and watch him for a little while to make sure he is surfacing without any trouble. I think your tank will look really interesting, over time you could get pretty creative with decor!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #48 
skywillig

Okay, I'll wait until I can purchase the dark gravel (tomorrow) to do that.
Thank you very much for all the inputs!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #49 
cjayBetta

Make sure to post pics once u have it all set up!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #50 
Bettaluver4evr

That tank is brilliant! Much better, your betta will be very happy. He is eating at least a little and he definitely didn't have dropsy in the picture. :) I've had walmart bettas live with me 3 years! (If you don't know what walmart is, it's this enormous chain store that sells EVERTHING, from toilet paper to technology to bettas. :() That tank could become very interesting, and with our help we will push your fishes lifespan far above 1 year. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote