Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #51 
skywillig

Hi! Updates... My teacher responsible for the afternoon class didn't come so I had time to buy the gravel. I went to the fish store and bought dark blue gravel (it was the darkest color they had) and a couple of fake aquarium plants for the same price the little 1L aquarium cost.. So here is how the former terrarium is looking:

This is my fish, inside... For the first 3 minutes he was hidden under the top floor but he seemed to find his way to air after that.

I would appreciate any more tips, specially on how to clean this. It's VERY VERY heavy so there's no way I can move it to a sink or something, so I'm curious on how I'll change the water... just taking it out with a cup seems stupid, is it really like that?
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #52 
cjayBetta

That looks great! Id just say scoop the water out or get a gravel thingy and suck the water out.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #53 
BettaHeart

thats very pretty
cleaning can be done with a siphon
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #54 
Bettaluver4evr

That looks brilliant and beautiful! :) And you see how nice and wide your fishes fins are? :) He's a happy boy! :) That looks very good, your fish will be very happy! :D I think you will be happier if you eventually manage to buy a filter, because that will keep the water cleaner, clearer and mean less water changes for you! :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #55 
skywillig

What would the filter be? What does it look like? I tried googling it and so many different things come up... And what does a siphon look like? And what is the gravel thingy? XD

Sorry I'm such a newbie. :(
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #56 
RiverStoneBetta

A siphon is you best bet for water changes and cleaning. A gravel siphon looks like a cylinder attached to a length of hose. Some siphons are self starting, which means all you have to do is move the siphon up and down vertically in the water to start the vacuum and get the water flowing out of the hose. Keep a bucket on hand to catch the water, and try to keep the bucket lower than the tank itself. You should be able to get a siphon for pretty cheap at your fish store.

Here is a picture of a common gravel siphon.

How much of the water you remove varies from person to person. All of my tanks are over 3 gallons and have filters, so I only change 10% every week. Without a filter, you should do either 25% to 50% once a week, or a 10% change every other day. Others here have other, possibly better advice than mine, so listen to all of it, and do what you feel is best.

After you remove some of the water, add treated water that is roughly the same tempurature as the main tank's water. This minimizes shock to your fish.

And despite an extremely questionable breeder-friend, I am extremely happy to see your bettas' conditions turned around. =]

Last edited by RiverStoneBetta; 02-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #57 
cjayBetta

FILTER:

SIPHON:

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #58 
skywillig

This siphon thing looks awesome, I wish I had bought one today, don't know when I'll be able to go back there. There is a window right beside where I put the tank, outside that window is the yard's grass, so I could probably just "siphon" the water to the grass...

The filters are pretty expensive... would I need anything else with the filter or just attach it to the side of the aquarium? (I assume it's attached to a side...)
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #59 
cjayBetta

Yea you just attach it to the tank.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #60 
LolaQuigs

The gravel thing, I am assuming, is a gravel vacuum. It is just a plastic tube attached to some narrow, flexible airline tubing. Here is an example of one.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752298

Once you get suction going on the gravel vacuum, it will siphon out the old water of your tank. It's definitely much easier than trying to pour out a 5 gallon (that's around 40 pounds of water!), or trying to scoop out half the water with a cup. The gravel vacuum also sucks up uneaten food, fish waste, and debris from the gravel.

Here is a thread where people give different methods and tips of getting the suction going:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=62843

Until you get a filter, I'd say do two water changes per week, one 50% and one 100%. Once you have a filter, as your fish produces ammonia, your tank will cycle, meaning beneficial bacteria will begin to breed and flourish in the gravel and filter media. While your tank is cycling (about a month) I would do two 50% water changes per week. Once it is cycled and that colony of nitrifying bacteria is established, you could do one 50% water change per week.

There are many different kinds of filters you could get. Many here recommend a sponge heater, which is gentle and produces very little current (bettas don't like a lot of water movement), plus the sponge is a great place for good bacteria to grow. Here is an example of a sponge filter:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Sponge-F...8923889&sr=8-1

You could do an external filter like this (sort of hangs on the back of the tank, with a tube sticking down into the water--that tube draws the water into the filter):

http://www.petco.com/product/102601/...quariumFilters

Or an internal filter like this (the entire filter is submerged in water):

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Circulation

If you get an internal or external filter, you might have to baffle the outflow so the current isn't too strong for a betta. This is very easy to do, just put aquarium sponge over the output and secure it with a rubber band, to reduce the strength of the water's flow. I have used aquarium sponge (and also sometimes pantyhose) to reduce the flow of all three of my filters. You may also want to use pantyhose (pantyhose comes in surprisingly handy for aquariums lol) to cover the part of the filter that draws in water, as betta fins can sometimes get sucked in!

Whatever filter you end up getting, make sure it is the right size for your tank; the packaging should say what tank size each filter is for.

Your setup looks fantastic, the different levels provide visual interest. Your betta's colors really stand out against that blue gravel!

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-28-2011 at 02:26 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote