Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #1 
Kiena

Spitting up his food...?

Blu doesn't seem to want to eat his food. Like at all. I have pellets for him, which he's had since day one with me. The first night he ate all three pellets like... instantly. I don't even know if he swallowed. But then again, he could have been starving after sitting who knows long at wal-mart.

He has a bit of fin rot, so I bought some meds called Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment. Since he's in a 1g tank, I cut the medicine in fourths and put one 4th in the filter until it dissolved then replaced the filter. I'm doing 100% water changes just under every 32 hours.

I've taken all plants from his tank and have poured boiling water over his castle to make sure it was clean and I'm adding API Stress Coat for his water conditioner.

Back to his food: I'll put a few pellets in there, but he omnoms on them for about 3 seconds then just spits it up and it lays at the floor. SO... I bought him some Freeze dried bloodworms, since I figured maybe he just doesn't like the pellets and wants a small treat? I put a few in there, he did the same thing. Omnom for 2 seconds then spits it out.

Is this normal? I'm still a new betta mama.

Last edited by Kiena; 02-26-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Kiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #2 
Slipstitch

Are you running the filter -with- the meds? Also, other folk're gonna ask for water temp and if the water is conditioned and stuff. I can tell you how I fixed my Betta's fin rot if you like. I noticed with all 3 of my boys that while they were sick, they weren't interested in food. I'm by no means an expert and such, but I can parrot what I've been ordered to do and such and what I've noticed with my own fish so far. ^_^
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #3 
Kiena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
Are you running the filter -with- the meds? Also, other folk're gonna ask for water temp and if the water is conditioned and stuff. I can tell you how I fixed my Betta's fin rot if you like. I noticed with all 3 of my boys that while they were sick, they weren't interested in food. I'm by no means an expert and such, but I can parrot what I've been ordered to do and such and what I've noticed with my own fish so far. ^_^

I am running the filter without the cartridge until the medicine dissolves, then I replace the cartridge. The temp is ~77F and I am conditioning the water with API Stress Coat.

And he seems interested, he just spits it out after chewing for a second or two. =(
Old 02-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #4 
Slipstitch

Not to be gross, but has he been pooping?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #5 
Kiena

bwah? Fish poop? >.>;

Last edited by Kiena; 02-26-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #6 
Slipstitch

Well one of the thoughtlines is he could be all constipated and such. If there's no room for the food... But I'll play google mistress and see what I can find for you. ^_^ Btw, has he only been doing this since you started treating him for the fin rot? Or was it before hand?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #7 
Slipstitch

DISEASE: TAIL ROT OR FIN ROT (OR BOTH!)

uGENERAL INFO:

This disease comes mainly from dirty water. If you keep his water VERY clean Mr. Betta will never get tail/fin rot. It is not overly contagious, and bettas will more than likely recover if treated promptly. Fins/tail will grow back, though may not have same color or may not look as good or be as long.

frayed fins and a darker edge are clear signs of fin rot

uSYMPTOMS:

Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving. There may be a darker color (or a reddish one) to the edge of the betta’s fins/tail. He may be still active and eating normally, or may have stopped eating, fins may be clumped, color may be pale.

Also, I will say that both my bettas that had fin rot did do that too. So it could well be a side effect of the fin rot itself.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #8 
Kiena

I know you can't really see his fins, because he's been kind of hanging out at the bottom of the tank (Which I assume is because he's sick.)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #9 
Slipstitch

Yeah, Poseidon did that too. He hung out either at the bottom or in a corner until I put him in quarantine for treatment. If you want, I can tell you what I did for him... It's been a week since I got him and his tail rot is gone. He's back up and running and hyper. But yeah, he refused to eat, the one or two times he did, he spat it back out, and just was super blah. Also, there's a person on here you can ask directly, her name's OldFishLady. She's very much made of awesome.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #10 
Kiena

I'll send her a message. But what did you do to help Poseidon? A week long recovery sounds awesome!