Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #11 
Slipstitch

According to OldFishLady's orders: mix 1 tsp of epsom salt into 1 gallon of water, drop in 1 decafinated green tea bag and let it steep a little. On day 3, up it to 2 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. Continue with your water changes, make sure you condition the water and such just like normal. simply continue treating him until he ceases to show signs of fin rot. It only took a couple of days, if that, for Poseidon to start eating like a little pig.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #12 
Kiena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
According to OldFishLady's orders: mix 1 tsp of epsom salt into 1 gallon of water, drop in 1 decafinated green tea bag and let it steep a little. On day 3, up it to 2 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. Continue with your water changes, make sure you condition the water and such just like normal. simply continue treating him until he ceases to show signs of fin rot. It only took a couple of days, if that, for Poseidon to start eating like a little pig.

xD More things to buy. I'll try this. How long did you let the tea steep? and did you do the tea every day with the salt? Or just on day one?
Kiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #13 
Slipstitch

Tea every day, the tannins in it are really good for him. I generally let the tea steep 5-10 minutes, as with normal tea making procedure and such. Epsom salt isn't expensive at all, also, if you already have aquarium salt, you can use that. Non iodized salt is the important bit, really
Old 02-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #14 
Kiena

I don't have anything but kosher salt I use to cook with. @_@ >.>;

So I'll have to run to wal mart in an hour or so to get the supplies.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #15 
Slipstitch

*nod* I was really impressed by the salt dip, really. It seems to work insanely faster than just meds.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #16 
Kiena

@_@ Here is for hoping.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #17 
Thunderloon

Run "Lifeguard" at precise dosages. It's cheap so they don't skimp on it and its new and powerful.

At 200% it will sterilize nitrosomona and nitrospira, if you used 1/4th of a scored tablet you dosed 250%. Use the water-bottle method to cut the dosage down for small volumes. Warm water no hotter than 92 and dissolve the medicine in a measurable and known volume of water, then take the % that is correct dose for the actual tank size. (Now I'll read the rest of the posts)

Kosher salt is fine, aquarium salt isn't processed as cleanly as it. They're really the same unless you buy sea-salt aquarium mix.

Using a carbon filter with lifeguard in the tank pretty much negates the lifeguard and wastes the carbon. Lifeguard was designed to mimic chlorine when it comes in contact with single cell life... which means the carbon sucked it out in a flash.

Epsom salts are not NaCl salt, they're MgSO4. They work as a laxative and should only be used in situations where constipation is a probable issue. It may be that the pellets are too large to take whole.

Is he spitting out the whole pellet "whole" or bits of pellets?
What brand of pellet are you feeding? (they can be picky, he might be trying to wait you out or the food might be bad)

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote