Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 
tsoto80

Did I Do the Right Thing?

I was at Walmart today buying supplies to make a divider for my tank. Stop by the fish aisle to see if they had any 2.5 gallon tanks. Of course they didnt. There was a couple there looking at the bettas. As soon as I got near them the man left to find a store worker. I lingered around to see what was going on. He came back told his wife he couldnt find anyone but brung back a gallon of water to fill one of the cups that only had less then one inch of water. Turns out the cup was cracked in many spots but he got the male anyways. I asked them if they had bettas before they said they use to and ask if I had any. I told yes I have a total of ten. His eyes got big.... he then aask if I had any females I told him I have 5 he was interested in buying one from me wanted to exchange numbers I thought ok why not He can have the one that keeps fighting my other females. Then he said he wanted to breed them.... well I immediately started thinking about her and even though she is my Black Sheep (her new name) Im still attached to her. I told him he cant keep a male and female in the same tank togeter. He said you can he read up on it as long as they are not two males its ok. I then started thinking how am I going to get out of this lol He told me where he lived again and I was like well I dont think she is ready to breed yet....she dont have any breeding stripes. He looked at me puzzeled. Then I told him besides Im kinda attached to her I dont think I wanna get rid of her. Then my BF told him to go to Petsmart or Petco cause they have females. Before the guy walked away he told me once again where he lived in case I wanted to sell her.

I guess I know I did the right thing but I want reassurance that I did. I feel so guilty that I was even thinking of giving her away. I feel like I was betraying her. lol Is that weird to think that way? Even if I was to get some cash (which I could use right now) I would feel like I am paying someone to....murder her
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 
turtle10

It is okay don't feel guilty you just wanted to help a betta newbie. BUT good thinking on your part not giving her to him. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about, who knows how your female would have ended up.

She very well could have been murdered :/
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 
Luimeril

you did the right thing. she's special to you, and you didn't want to give her to someone who didn't know their stuff. don't feel horrible about it. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

I flat tell people "don't"

"Lets say you set up a ten gallon tank and they do breed. What if you do everything right? Are you ready to raise four hundred fry until you can tell which sex they are? Do you have six hundred ten ounce cups and a temperature and humidity controlled room to keep them in while you change their water every other day? What will you do if you get close to five hundred fry and they're all beautiful? The people who can sell them won't buy them from you. Are you willing to kill four hundred fry you raised to sexing in cups with additives, conditioned water and two months sweat?" If they don't blink I ask "What will you do if you breed monsters and every one of them has congenital defects?"

I've talked to professional fish breeders who I wouldn't trust to raise a cat outdoors, keep your girl and be her special friend.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 
tsoto80

In time I think I will be able to speak up I defently dont know anything about breeding but I do know there is a lot more than just throwing them in the same tank together
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #6 
turtle10

It is really hard to speak up, whenever I have to like at Petco and stuff my heart goes a hundred miles an hour.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #7 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
It is really hard to speak up, whenever I have to like at Petco and stuff my heart goes a hundred miles an hour.
So does mine! I get anxiety attacks very easy plus I have high blood pressure so I really have to watch myself. Ranting like a loon may kill me lol
Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #8 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
So does mine! I get anxiety attacks very easy plus I have high blood pressure so I really have to watch myself. Ranting like a loon may kill me lol
Eat dark chocolate! It lowers your blood pressure 18%!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #9 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Eat dark chocolate! It lowers your blood pressure 18%!
WooHoo!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
That's a tight spot there, Tiff. You know you could be more comfortable if you ask him if he's willing to show you how he takes care of his fish. Show him the ropes of better fishkeeping. Ask him logical questions what he plans to do if they breed. Breeding bettas is not any closely similar to just breeding guppies. The parents must be watched closely, fry need special attention and plenty of space as they grow. How is he going to manage everything without a concrete plan?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote