Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
leaveittoweaver

Divided Tank

I have a ten gallon penn plax divider in my ten gallon for my two bettas, I have plants up against the dividers but I still feel like the fish are stressing over still being able to see each other? Any ideas on how to fix this aside from making my own divider? I'm absolutely horrible with anything crafty or diy :/
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Why do you feel they are stressed out?

You can take the clear divider out, go to craft store and get plastic mesh, then put that into the side pieces you already have... easy. That'll make it harder for them to see each other.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 
leaveittoweaver

I see them flare at eachother at the side of the divider where they can see through the gap. They can't get through it obviously but they can see each other somewhat. I'll try that. Thanks :)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Some flaring isn't bad as long as they aren't attacking through the divider or showing stress bars
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

I tried a divided tank, in my 5 g. when Jet died. I just didn't like it, like one of my fish seemed okay with the living arrangement but the other one seemed a bit less thrilled about it..that the fish that didn't care spent his time teasing poor Bypass and I felt horrible about it. So I found a new home for the other fish and took out the divider.

It also depends on the fish I think, some don't mind being roomie's and some do.
Oh and personal taste *lol* I just didn't like the look of it and putting fish through that kind of stress.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 
leaveittoweaver

I've been searching for information on stress bars or pictures of what it looks like, and haven't come up with anything as far as bettas go, only discus. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

Name:  betta-female.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  37.2 KB

As I was looking for this picture I saw that there was a thread somewhere on this forum about stress stripe's.
Just look it up!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #8 
ds2009

I agree with 1fish2fish's idea. I bought two things of plastic mesh from a craft store and i connected them to the divider things. With this setup my fish dont even see eachother and i havent either of them flare at eachother since before using this setup. I would highly recommend it :D
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I've only ever had a couple that didn't do well in divided tanks. Those were either TOO aggressive and kept trying to get through the divider (so much so that he tore up his face) or they were too submissive and stressed by seeing their neighbor.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

Yea that was a fear of mine too that Bypass would end up tearing up his face, cause I admit that I did a poor job cutting up the divider so that it wasn't flush with the tank wall..but it held, but it had a small gap.