Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Unhappy Ich or No Ich?

I am new to this site but, I am hoping that you can help me decide if my little boy Betta, Jean-Luc, has ich.

He is a very beautiful purple Betta that kind-of looks like the Rainbow Fish in the children's book. Given that he has a very shiny coat of scales I have a very hard time trying to figure out if he is sick or not. I am going to be including a photo here in a little while.

Here are his symptoms based on the list in this websites Sticky post.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon bowl
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature and at this moment the temperature of the room is 75.7 degrees. My thermostat for his bowl broke a few months ago so I don't know exactly what the temperature is in his bowl
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No besides the opening at the top of the bowl
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 2 pellets one of each color

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Freshwater & Saltwater by Seachem; 2 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I don't know where to find a test kit, so no I do not test my water.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a few white dots on his long tail, and other than that he seems to look fine. However, his shiny coat tends to confuse me.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is pretty much the same just a little more sluggish. He is a very lazy fishy but, he was the most active one at PetSmart when I bought him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I changed his water, and I have been giving him 1 mL of Melafix once a day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I think he got ill in September but, I am not sure.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Uh...I don't know. I got him in late August and it's Febuary.

If it is possible for the people on this website then I would greatly appreciate it. Jean-Luc is my first ever fish so I kind-of know what I am doing but I also really don't know what I am doing. I am learning as I go along.

Last edited by JeanLuc2; 02-26-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Just wanted to edit a few things.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuc2 View Post
I am new to this site but, I am hoping that you can help me decide if my little boy Betta, Jean-Luc, has ich.

He is a very beautiful purple Betta that kind-of looks like the Rainbow Fish in the children's book. Given that he has a very shiny coat of scales I have a very hard time trying to figure out if he is sick or not. I am going to be including a photo here in a little while.

Here are his symptoms based on the list in this websites Sticky post.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon bowl
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature and at this moment the temperature of the room is 75.7 degrees. My thermostat for his bowl broke a few months ago so I don't know exactly what the temperature is in his bowl
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No besides the opening at the top of the bowl
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 2 pellets one of each color

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Freshwater & Saltwater by Seachem; 2 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I don't know where to find a test kit, so no I do not test my water.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a few white dots on his long tail, and other than that he seems to look fine. However, his shiny coat tends to confuse me.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is pretty much the same just a little more sluggish. He is a very lazy fishy but, he was the most active one at PetSmart when I bought him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I changed his water, and I have been giving him 1 mL of Melafix once a day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I think he got ill in September but, I am not sure.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Uh...I don't know. I got him in late August and it's Febuary.

If it is possible for the people on this website then I would greatly appreciate it. Jean-Luc is my first ever fish so I kind-of know what I am doing but I also really don't know what I am doing. I am learning as I go along.

If he has white dots on him it could be ich. In a 1 gallon you need to be doing two water changes a week, one 50% and one 100%.

He is also cold. If your room temp is about 75, his water temp is probably around 72, which is way to cold. Bettas are tropical fish and require temperatures in the 76-82, preferably at least 78. Because he is in a such a small tank temperature fluctuations the air could have been stressing him out, lowering his immune system. I suggest getting at least a 2.5 so you can safely maintain it at a nice 76-78 degrees. Or you could heat your house up to about 84 degrees lol which would probably not be convenient for you.

PS The rainbow fish was my favorite book when I was a kid :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Do you have a clear picture of him? It would be really helpful for us to see what the spots look like.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 
JeanLuc2

Turtle: I live in a college dorm so I got the biggest bowl I thought I was allowed to have. I will go back into the handbook and look to see if I can have a bigger bowl. I don't know very much about heaters and such so I wouldn't know how to operate one and not hurt my little guy if I were to get one. Would this be useful?

Lola: I can try again but he is a very stubborn little guy.

What would be the best way to treat Ich? I called the pet store I got him at and the girl I talked to didn't really know much beyond the fact that they have some medicine to treat the stuff.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #5 
turtle10

What are the dimensions allowed? I could search for an aquarium for you based on what your college allows.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 
JeanLuc2

Well I guess I was wrong and that I am allowed to have "Residents may keep fish in their room provided the fish are kept in a tank no larger than 20 gallons and receive
proper care." (That is what the handbook says.)

What would be a much better option for keeping my little boy healthy and happily warm?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #7 
turtle10

I say get a 2.5 or 5 gallon aquarium. That way you can safely heat it with a heater. When using heaters all you do is wash it off with very warm water for a long time, submerge it in the tank (there is a minimum water level line), and turn the dial to what degree you want it at. Super easy :)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #8 
JeanLuc2

Ok, what kind of an aquariam would you recomend that wouldn't cost too much? The same would go for the heater.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #9 
JeanLuc2

Also, my phone which has the much better photos of my little boy is being dumb. I have a USB cord for it, and it is not recognizing my computers so I will get the photos uploaded as soon as I can.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #10 
turtle10

A normal 2.5 rectangular is about 12-13 dollars. Mini heaters for the 2.5 are about 10 dollars. So really you would need about 23 dollars plus tax. Gravel isn't necessary and just makes water changes harder so you don't have to waste money on it. My betta tanks are basically bare bottom except for a few stones and left over gravel that I couldn't get out.

Tags
ich or no ich?