Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 
turtle10

Unhappy Feel guilty… need your opinions.

Okay so I have two male bettas each in their own tank. One is 5 gallons, the other is 10 gallons.

I may soon be facing some spacing issues, and may need to downsize their aquariums.

Would my fish totally hate me if I got them smaller tanks? I was going to get a three gallon critter keeper for the one currently in the 5 gallon, and put the 10 gallon fish into the five gallon or possibly another 3 gallon kritter keeper.

Does this make me totally horrible. 10 gallons is the only size tank Bellino has ever known, I would hate for him to feel like he is cramped in something so much smaller.

Please help me, I feel so guilty when I think about this. :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 
bettafish15

If you only have two bettas and are pressed for space, just divide the ten gallon into two sections. That way your only using the 10g, and there arent dramatic space changes for the one in the 10g. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #3 
BettaHeart

I honestly dont think you should have to feel guilty. The downsizing seems like its only a temporary situation and in times when there is no other option its always best to go with what seem the better option lol option option ....
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
If you only have two bettas and are pressed for space, just divide the ten gallon into two sections. That way your only using the 10g, and there arent dramatic space changes for the one in the 10g. :D
this probably is your best most cost-effective option, 5 gallons is still nice for a betta, but i get what you mean about him only ever knowing a 10 gall... same with my Sumo, i would hate to ever have to put him in something smaller! (there will always be room for him and 10 gal on my dresser though )
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #5 
turtle10

That may or may not work depending on things turn out. I won't have a lot of table space so I may not have room for a 10 gallon in one place, but two 3 gallons or even one 3 gallon and a 5 gallon in different areas could fit.

Plus Chiquito hates seeing Bellino, he stops building bubblenests when he can see him. They have to be on different levels lol.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
this probably is your best most cost-effective option, 5 gallons is still nice for a betta, but i get what you mean about him only ever knowing a 10 gall... same with my Sumo, i would hate to ever have to put him in something smaller! (there will always be room for him and 10 gal on my dresser though )
I actually have a dresser too. The top of it is large and wide, you could fit a 20 long and a 2.5 on there, BUT it is the wobbliest thing ever on earth. The drawers get stuck extremely easily so to get anything out of it requires you to shake the whole thing basically.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 
BettaHeart

what is holding you back from the two 3gal? the one 3 gal and 5 gal sounds good

hope things work out for you
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #8 
vaygirl

I can only speak from experience. Tango was totally fine going from a 16 gallon to a 5 gallon. He's active (too active in the filter flow, really) and healthy. As long as they have nooks to explore and stuff to hunt through, look at, they should be fine. Make hidey holes and secret corners with your decor.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 
turtle10

Nothing is really holding me back, I have the money and everything. I just feel bad moving them to a 3g and 5g when they are in a 5g and 10g now.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Don't feel bad! Think about it this way; If they had gone to another house, they may have ended up in a teeny bowl. What you are providing for them is way better. Never feel guilty about having to downsize. They will still love you.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote