Betta Fish Forum banner

Very worried new fishy momma

532 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  turtle10 
#1 ·
I've had my boy for a week now, and he's been an absolute angel. However, I noticed he has a couple of spots on him. One is on his nose, and there's possibly another one on his dorsal fin, but I'm not absolutely sure if it's a spot or part of his butterfly coloring.

However, I haven't observed him close enough or owned him long enough to know if that's his natural coloring or not. However, I'm very wary of white spots on my fish as that's what wiped out my entire tank at home several times even though I cleaned the tank very well before starting over.

I'm looking up information about ick (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyophthirius_multifiliis ). I don't see Octavius rubbing against things. He does dig around in his stones, though. I don't know if that's a symptom because he always does it. His behavior isn't characteristic of ick, though. He's very active (a bit overly too active, though. I'm taking out a plant next water change to give him more space) and is eating and breathing normally. He always hangs out on the side closest to me.

Other than the odd spot on his nose, he's acting very normally. I'll post the specs in the next post.

Is there anything I can do to prevent him from getting sick? I know that's pretty much near impossible, but after all my fish died, I'm not taking any risks.

I just remembered I need to do information about tank specs. I'll do that in the next post.

See less See more
#3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76 or 77 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? A under the gravel filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It has an air pump in the middle.
Is your tank heated? Yep.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None at the moment.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes. He doesn't like pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? A fingertip full twice a day, six days a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, one is a water change, and one is when I vaccuum the gravel.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe. It's a sample pack, so I'm also acclimating him to Nutrafin Betta Plus.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Nope - I need to get a test kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a white/grayish spot on his nose.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing much - he's acting almost absolutely normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About half an hour ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's a Petco fish, so anywhere from 6 months to a year? He's about an inch and half long, though, so he could be a bit older.

#5 ·
Do you think, if the spot on his nose isn't normal for him, that it could be caused by using two different water conditioners?

I could've sworn I read on this forum that you needed to combine conditioners to acclimate bettas to new conditioners. Oops.

#6 ·
I accidentally mixed conditioners once, and nothing happened. I have, however, heard stories of deadly chemical reactions. What were the conditioners and how many ingredients do they have different from each other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.