Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #1 
rhoff14

sudden illness

Changed my betta to a 10gal tank, from a 1.5 gal tank, a week ago(Both had/have over flow filters, no air stones and are kept at about 75 degrees farenheit with an undergravel heater). Got the water tested at PetSmart and it tested fine. I feed him Betamin tropical medley. My betta has begun to hide more in the past couple of days and yesterday I did not see him at all after feeding him. This morning he did not come out for feeding until I moved his hiding place and he seemed disoriented at first. He ate some, is swimming around slowly with his fins somewhat clamped, one of his eyes appears cloudy. I used a flashlight to check his body and I can't see anything except maybe a slight bit of film on his head area. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by rhoff14; 02-27-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added more info about habitat and feeding
rhoff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Welcome!

If you do not have a test kit, I suggest you get yourself one. API liquid kit is the best kit you can get. Test the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. I would not rely on the store to test the water if I were you. If you insist however, then please make sure they are using updated liquid kits, not test strips and have them post the exact results of the tests. Test strips are grossly inaccurate.

Your temperature is very low for bettas. Bettas prefer warm water. Elevate it to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

The cloudy eyes and clamped fins are signs of poor water quality. Do water changes daily until you can get your kit. Only clean water can resolve this issue.

Is Betamin the only thing you feed it? How often?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #3 
rhoff14

I feed him once in the morning. I tried to get him to eat freeze dried blood worms also, he doesn't care for them. I will get a test kit today. Petsmart used test strips to test the water.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4 
Lupin

Freeze dried foods are less appetizing for them. Do you have access to frozen ones?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #5 
rhoff14

As far as frozen options, I know that petsmart carries some stuff (not sure what) and I am not familiar with any fish stores in my area that aren't just small pet shops(noone specializing in fish, and not well kept shops in general). I definitely need another option besides flake food, because I just completely cleaned out his tank and there was too much debris in his gravel for it only having been one week since I set up the tank. Any suggestions for water conditioner before I put him back in the tank? I have been using AquaSafe by Tetra.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 
Lupin

Prime by Seachem.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #7 
rhoff14

Thank you
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can try frozen daphnia or brine shrimp.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #9 
rhoff14

Thanks for the help. Simon is doing very well, now. His color has brightened, the cloudiness is almost completely gone, he is eating pellets and bloodworms and he is swimming all over the tank being his curious self again.