Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Pygmy cories

I'll be getting 5 pygmy cories soon for my 10 gallon. They'll be in on fish in cycling...

But, do you think Neon would harass them if I add them after I've added them? Because I added him first...

Also, would a feeding of frozen bloodworms, frozen mysies shrimp, tetra min flakes, and algae wafers be good?

Thanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Will your tank be finished cycling when you add the cories? I don't know much about pygmies specifically, but I know that most cories can be sensitive to parameters, and should only be added once the tank is finished cycling (anyone please feel free to correct me if this is not the case for pygmies). I think from an aggression standpoint, it's definitely best to add the betta after the cories to reduce potential territorial behavior from the betta, but if you're doing fish-in cycling you should put in the betta first since they aren't as sensitive. Some bettas can't have tankmates no matter what, it all just depends on the individual. It might help if you rearrange the decor before you add the cories, so the betta doesn't have such a strong sense of an established territory. In any case, it's a good idea to have another container to keep the betta in, just in case he does harrass the cories.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Pygmy corydoras are not as hardy as normal corydoras. I would rearrange the tank, add the cories, then add neon.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 
turtle10

Do not cycle with cories. They are very sensitive to water parameters as they are scale-less fish.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #5 
baylee767

Okay, I wont cycle with them. I think I kind of ruin my fish in cycle because I keep the water too clean never letting the ammonia reach .25 though whenever I do this ._.

Once my tank has cycled (Shouldn't be long at all, I have seeded it) Then I'll get them. So I should re-arrange the decor, add the cories, then add Neon? Ok, I'll do that. Also, is my feeding scedule okay? And if anyone else has any additional information (easy to get false info... just want to be sure/learn new facts about them) then I'm open to it.

LolaQuigs: I have an empty 2.5 gallon tank, so if something happens to go wrong, I should be fine. And Neon has a gentle personality, so it should go well (no telling until the night he meets his first cory though)

Thank you for your help so far!

Last edited by baylee767; 04-01-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #6 
Shayna09

Your feeding schedule looks perfect - the only thing I would cut out is the flakes. Not for any health reasons, simply because the cory cats are happy with the algae wafers and the occasional bit of meat left over from what Neon doesn't eat, and with the shrimp and bloodworms Neon will be perfect. It's up to you but the flakes seem kind of pointless to me - anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I have noticed with my cory cats and my female bettas, I have to feed the bettas first. If I drop in the algae wafers before the bloodworms/brine shrimp/pellets (when I run out of the meat stuff) the bettas will steal them from the cory cats and gorge themselves on them. That's bad for two reasons; 1) the cories get no food, and 2) the bettas get too much vegetable matter.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #7 
baylee767

Sorry to bring this thread back, just thought I'd update real quick.

My tank has cycled! (Now I would definatly reccomend seeding ^.^) And my dad will take me to the fish store later today or tommorrow. I hope all goes well...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Get some sinking carnivore pellets along with the algae wafers and other stuff. Mine like Hikari carnivore pellets. They need a varied diet (omnivores) and I don't know about your betta but mine doesn't let a darn thing drop into the bottom of the tank. :) Good luck! They're a lot of fun.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #9 
baylee767

Thanks for the advice, I will!

My dad will be taking me very soon to the LFS, updates later!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #10 
Shayna09

My cory cats absolutely LOVE forzen blood worms. If your Betta DOES by-pass some food, I would definitely recommend using them. It's like watching a fish suck up spaghetti. Too cute. GOOD LUCK!
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote