Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #1 
xx420blazexx

type of salt?

I have tried to look around on here and google, and could not find a clear answer. My question is, can I use sea salt with magnesium carbonate (bottle says less than 2 percent) for treatment of my fish and not harm him? I believe he has fin rot and would like to take care of it as soon as possible..
xx420blazexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Yes, you can. It's totally safe. I always said most additives added in salt are absolutely fine except for yellow prussiate of soda. Dose a teaspoon per gallon. Be sure you dissolve salt first.

Clean water is equally important. Check your water parameters to make sure ammonia and nitrite are zero.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #3 
xx420blazexx

Thank you very much. I've also read about indian almond leaves (not sure where to find them) and oak leaves(?) Being used.. Can I use just any regular old oak leaf? And if so, is there anything special I need to do to prepare it?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #4 
Lupin

As long as it is completely dead and free from contaminants, you can. I don't boil the leaves. They go straight to the tank.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #5 
JKfish

:) they'll release tannins which help improve the general health of bettas, though the one down side (unless you like the look) is they'll tint the water brown.

You can bulk buy IAL from ebay for very little, but if you have a oak tree near you that doesn't get sprayed with pesticides and what not, go ahead and use that. They're pretty much the same thing, so why not get it for free? :D

As for the salt, make sure there are no additives and that it is not iodized.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #6 
Lupin

Iodine is not really an issue at all contrary to popular beliefs. It's far too minute in concentration to cause significant damage. As it is regulated by the FDA, there's no reason for it to be a cause of concern. In fact, a lot of fish need iodine for optimum health.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #7 
xx420blazexx

I know its been posted before, but it would be nice to just be able to come to this post and read it. How often should I dose with salt? Daily? I have him in a filtered 2.5gal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #8 
Lupin

If you're doing water changes, then redose as per water volume changed after that. Do NOT add salt if you are not doing water changes or else, it will accumulate in your tank. Only water changes can remove salt.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #9 
xx420blazexx

Okay well that's good to know. Ill be changing his water in a few days. And about the leaves, at what point do I take them out? Should I take them out at all? Would you say that one leaf is ideal for my tank size? Again, thanks a lot for the info. If it weren't for forums like this I'm sure many people, including myself, would have a really hard time digging up info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #10 
Lupin

If I recall right, an 8" Indian almond leaf was sufficient for every 10g. You can always cut them up and clip in the tank. Replace 'em every 2 weeks.