Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #41 
Sweeda88

I'm honored that you'd consider letting me help you name your fish. But I hope nothing happens to your fish, and that you don't need my help for quite some time!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #42 
Bettaluver4evr

Amen to that! :) Well, everyone is very healthy right now! Dumbo always has his fins spread maxxed out, the new girl (Luna) is super active and spunky, and "Harry Potter's" fins are brilliant! (aka Butterfly). Liberty is still healing, but he is definitely improving! :D So I shouldn't need your help for a long while. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #43 
Sweeda88

Or maybe somehow you'll talk your parents into letting you have more. You never know! lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #44 
Bettaluver4evr

LOL, I wish! But my hands are full with 3, and I'm still teaching my bro how to take care of his new guy. :) I just loooove bettas though! They do have a personality, and IMO they are some of the prettiest fish in the world! Definitely the prettiest freshwater fish in the world. :) I'm just a kid, so the more bettas I have the happier I'll be, but the more work I'll have to do! :)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #45 
RiverStoneBetta

Personality factor is what got me hooked on bettas. Just having a fish that's happy to see you after a long day of college is nice. And I can't get past their "pouty" face. They look (and act) like little aquatic puppies.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #46 
1fish2fish

Its also a myth that smaller fins equal less agression. Agression has nothing to do with tail type... It has more to do with lineage
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #47 
Bettaluver4evr

RSB - I have always had bettas, ever since I was little. My first one's were kept in half gallon to 1 gallon bowls, and lived about a year each. I don't remember them that well, but my first one I think was a female red betta, and she loved swimming. ALL OF THE TIME. Hehe. Second one was a blue VT male, and he was so pretty! I remember him better. He would have lived way beyond 1 year, but I found him on the floor one day. I was so sad, because he was so much fun, he would always swim toward you wherever you were in the room. But, for some odd reason, my mom at first put him back in his jar, and he jerked back to life! But he really died that night, I think because he had fuzz in his lungs...
(I'm not sure why I'm rambling on about THIS, but I've already started, I guess I'll keep going! :D)
Next betta was a white and blue/pink male VT betta named silky. He lived for 2 and a half years in a 1 gallon tank with an airstone and undergravel filter. He loooooved music! Or maybe he just liked watching me dance like crazy... anyway, when I put music on he'd get all excited and swim around a lot. :)
Didn't have another betta for a few years, but last january I went into Petco, and a mislabled HM caught my eye. The betta itself was a delta, but he was labled HM, and I didn't know I was way overpaying... well, he came home and I got him a 1.5 gallon filtered aquarium. He only lasted 3 months though! Ich. Got some guppies. They lasted 2 weeks. Got another betta and kept him in the same tank that hadn't been cleaned properly (still didn't know...), and he died too. But I cleaned out the fridge in my mom's garage, and she said as a reward, I could get 1 more betta! :) Since then, I've gotten 4 bettas, and the worst I've had to deal with is some fin rot and a badly torn fin. Yay, no deaths yet! :) I love bettas because they are all so beautiful and unique, and no 2 are alike. :) And personally, even though some bettas are so much more beautiful in finnage or color, sometimes the mutts or kind of boring bettas have the spunkiest and best personality! :) Rant over. :P

1f2f, I think that actually makes more sense! :) Like, if finnage were really the big deal, then HM's could barely flare at all because it would take up so much energy. :P
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #48 
RiverStoneBetta

I only remember keeping one betta as a child. His name was Frost, he was a blue and white VT, and I managed to keep him alive for 2 years. (I won't say he thrived, because he was in a very dinky little bowl. I was a kid, and no one else knew better. =\) I didn't own any afte that until I rescued Quinn. After I got him, I started doing research on betta husbandry. Quinn when from a temporary jar, to a 1.5G for almost a year, then we divided a 10G. I bought Flynn to go into the other side. They were like that for a year and some change when I got Boba in his own 2.5 gallon. Then the Christmas Fiasco hit, and Flynn was transferred to the 1.5 gallon for a while. Quinn ended up with the whole 10G to himself, until I bought him a school of Cory Cats. Flynn then upgraded to a 5.5 for about 6 months. Then, I received a school of neon tetras and had no where to QT. I foolishly stuck them into the 5.5 with Flynn. Of course, they had columnaris, which wiped out the school and killed Flynn within 3 days. Now I have a clean, cycled tank on my nightstand with no one in it. Hopefully, I'm fixing that on Saturday. =]

The only problems I've had to deal with are chemical burns and ray curling from the Christmas Fiasco. And Boba is a tail-biter.

Last edited by RiverStoneBetta; 02-28-2011 at 02:29 PM.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #49 
1fish2fish

I couldn't type more on my phone so I'll expand on my post now.

So ok.. everyone says PK are more aggressive than HM right? But when you think about it PK are genetically closer to the original Betta splendens than HM are. The reasoning behind this is long fins are dominant over short fins so if a betta has short fins he has more short fin genetics in his background than he does long fin (and that is WAY over simplifying it). So original betta splendens were bred solely for aggression (see fighter plakats) so bettas more closely related genetically to short finned fighters would have more aggression.

However.. there are some PK that have been line bred and bred for color and fin for so long that they don't have that aggressiveness that is seen in other lines. An example is the yellow HMPK pair I had. They were both the mellowest fish I've ever owned (which is why I called them the mellow yellows).

So you can't say that "all pk are more aggressive because they have short fins" because that's just not true. It's like saying all HM can't swim because their fins are too heavy. My HM can swim just as energetically as my short fins... the only difference is they can't go as fast because they aren't designed aerodynamically the way PK are.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #50 
Bettaluver4evr

Aahhhh, I see now what you mean! :) Don't worry, we alllll know how awful phone keyboards or touch screens are! ;) RSB, can't wait to see your new betta! :)