Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #11 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
The true fungus is rare. You will need Maroxy for this. Chances are good this is simply columnaris, a very common bacterial infection. Unfortunately for us, Flexibacter columnare is always present in tanks and await their opportunity to infect untreated injuries. For mild cases, start dosing salt at a teaspoon per gallon. Advanced cases require antibiotics but let's not jump the gun for now. Try salt first and give it a chance for at least a week.

If your bettas are able to tolerate salt so far, you may add another teaspoon per gallon set in the next 12 hours. I think as a precaution, we'll stick with two teaspoons per gallon or 0.2%. It will be sufficient enough to keep mild cases of columnaris at bay. In the meantime, keep your water clean. When you do water changes, do not forget to redose salt per water volume changed.

If you are on a teaspoon per gallon or 0.1% max dose and intend to replace 2 gallons of water for instance, then dose back two teaspoons of salt. If 0.2%, then dose back 4 teaspoons. Is that clear?

Be sure you DISSOLVE the salt first before you add. Keep temp steady at 78 degrees Fahrenheit minimum. Do NOT elevate the temp anymore as columnaris progresses quickly in warmer waters. Make sure your water is also well aerated.

If you do not have aquarium salt, then you may use rock salt, pickling salt or table salt. Make sure NONE of these contain yellow prussiate of soda (YPS). YPS is extremely toxic especially when exposed to sunlight generating another toxic compound, hydrogen cyanide.

For antibiotic reference, you will need Jungle Fungus Clear, kanamycin/kanaplex or Maracyn Plus. Try salt first and update us how this goes before we consider stepping on antibiotics. Let's hope we will not need to step on this one as antibiotics are usually more trouble than they're worth.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Oh, BTW, the dosage for aquarium salt is 1 tsp/gallon for some cases, but it can be up to 3 tsp per gallon in extreme cases. You're supposed to add it every day for a maximum of 10 days, do lots of big water changes for pristine water quality, and as stated above lower the water temp. I'd do it to 76 or 77, too low can be dangerous.

Don't know much about funguses. Try adding some metholyn blue (We do bathes instead of adding it directly to the tank)(course I know nothing about cotton mouth) if it is legit cotton mouth to help, and/or what ever OFL says. Also, she might reccomend putting saran wrap or something over the top of the tank to make the air humid, seeing as it's mouth problems and the air above could be harsh to them.

Also, since their fins were torn up, are they still swimming okay?

Cotton Mouth is NOT a fungus, it is a bacteria. You should lower the temp to 76, DON'T go any lower than that.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #13 
tfranc

Hi thank you guys so much for your help!!!
I separated them immediately into their little cups in which I bought them, I did a 100% water change on Precioso (my blue/purple older betta) added conditioner and 3 rocks of AQ salt to a 3 cup container, then I got the water to tank temp and transfered my little guy, with Simba I just immediately put him in his cup with the tank water, he seemed ok.

They both still swim pretty normal from what I can see, they are only eating a pellet each, and Precioso eats and spits it out :(
Precioso is the one with the white cotton like objects on him unfortunately, I have them at a 75-76 degree temperature since that was their original tank temp and did not want to change it drastically for them either.
They are separated with very low natural light getting to them and I will do another 100% water change once I get home, but will still float the cups in the tank to maintain the temp.

Good thing is that they were still active after the fight, they would swim and react to my finger moving across the glass.

Thank you so much everyone for your help, I will keep you posted on the white cotton stuff on him and I hope the AQ salt makes it all better and I wont have to put him back on antibiotics...

Thank you so much!!!!
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #14 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Cotton Mouth is NOT a fungus, it is a bacteria. You should lower the temp to 76, DON'T go any lower than that.
See what I mean? I thought it was a fungus, that's how little I know about it so just don't listen to me about that one.

Also, did I say to put the temp under 76 degrees? If so, that was a mistake, so like others have said dont put it that low, but I see you already understand this.

Your tank is 75? Seems to be pushing it a bit, maybe raise the temp one more degree... just listen to what others tell you lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #15 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
See what I mean? I thought it was a fungus, that's how little I know about it so just don't listen to me about that one.

Also, did I say to put the temp under 76 degrees? If so, that was a mistake, so like others have said dont put it that low, but I see you already understand this.

Your tank is 75? Seems to be pushing it a bit, maybe raise the temp one more degree... just listen to what others tell you lol.
No someone else said to do lower than 76. I think you said 76-77 or something :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #16 
Luimeril

for fin rot, or even torn fins, it IS about a teaspoon per gallon. :d that'll help keep things clean in the tank, too. also, adding Indian Almond Leaf/Oak leaf/Decaf green tea will help their fins heal up(just plop it in the tank. that's what i do. the leaves'll also give the boy something to nest around/under/on top of!). hope your boys get better! D: i dun know much about anything other than tail issues. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #17 
tfranc

Thanks guys!

My boys seem to be doing better, they are both eating like pigs again, and the white cotton seems to not have progressed, so I am very happy, its going to be a long healing process, but I hope that their fins can recover once again. thanks so much!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #18 
tfranc

I have another question, does anyone know why Precioso's bottom lip is completely white and lacking color? he was dark blue and now the lip is white... I dont know why...
Also my Simba has transparent (missing part) holes on his tail besides all of the torn parts, but these are in the middle of the tail as if someone took a tiny hole puncher and punched them out or something?
can you guys please advice?

Simba is the first picture with the red/orange betta.
Precioso is the second picture with the white bottom lip,
and the third picture is a comparison on how he was before, with his face completely blue.

thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #19 
brandonwlee

your bettas should be ok if the one that have fin rot previously have fully recovered prior to the fight. make sure you take added precaution to not let this happen again. salt ,clean water and healthy food should heal your betta fins in no time depending on how severe is the fight. just be aware that their fins will not grow to perfection after recovering. just be more careful next time
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #20 
tfranc

Thank you brandonwlee, they seem to be recovering and I will make a more permanent division so that does not happen again.
luckily they seem to be good with clean water and good food. Luckily the fight only took out a few pieces of their fins and caused some minor discolorations but they are getting better as time progresses.