Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 
misamiania

temporary

Since my 1.5 is now inhabited by 2 cory cats.... not sure how I came home with two cory cats when I intended to look at plants >>

But I had set this up since I'm still nursing Zebo for his curled fin. He enjoys it. It looks crowded but it's really not all that crowded. I look at the pictures and have to scratch my head wondering why it looks so crowded. or maybe that's me just being sick... I hate being sick.

Anyways since I can haha thought I'd just post this here. He has close to 1.5 gal in there actually. Well with the iteams it's less but he has a gallon at the very least. I know cause I had to do a 100% water change in Rosso's tank cause he died. An he was in the 1.5 that the cory cats are now in.

He rather enjoys it but I can't wait till I get my 5 gal in. It'll be at the latest should be this tuesday ^^ so excited.

misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Cory's need at least 10 gallons, and groups of at least 3. I don't think you thought this through.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
misamiania

really? The guy at the LFS said they would be fine. :( Well poop. Stupid guy. Well I have a few friends with fish and I think two of them have a ten gallon so I can give them to nice big tanks. Thanks for the info!
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

You're welcome. Remember, most people at pet stores know NOTHING about pets. They aren't trained properly.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #5 
turtle10

NEVER listen to a pet store employee. You can only trust yourself.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
Sanka101

Most dont know anything, ive been fortunate that a few of the local fish stores have very knowledge able staff (usually small buisnesses not chain ones) but there is 2 ladys that work at my local petsmart that are very knowledgable! Actually the other day when i was there to get petfood and picked up my female betta, a younge family with a little girl walked over to the fancy gold fish holding one of those awfull 2-3g plastic goldfish kits and she asked them what they were looking for and they said 2 gold fish one bug eyed black one (moor) and one of the orange ones (fantail) and she said what kind of tank and the little girl showed the plastic contaption to her and she took it from her put it on the shelf behind her and said you cant use that, Ill grab you the tank you need then i want you to go home and research fishless cycling and come back in 3 weeks! lol it very rare you find an employee this dedicated to the care of fish, but there are some out there! I also know she has maltiple tanks her self and last time i chatted with her she personally had 2 bettas and was looking at a third, also theyve gotten slightly larger cups recently and they are all kept spot less and quite full and non of the fish appeard to have ich, fungus or finrot!!
Sanka101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanka101 View Post
Most dont know anything, ive been fortunate that a few of the local fish stores have very knowledge able staff (usually small buisnesses not chain ones) but there is 2 ladys that work at my local petsmart that are very knowledgable! Actually the other day when i was there to get petfood and picked up my female betta, a younge family with a little girl walked over to the fancy gold fish holding one of those awfull 2-3g plastic goldfish kits and she asked them what they were looking for and they said 2 gold fish one bug eyed black one (moor) and one of the orange ones (fantail) and she said what kind of tank and the little girl showed the plastic contaption to her and she took it from her put it on the shelf behind her and said you cant use that, Ill grab you the tank you need then i want you to go home and research fishless cycling and come back in 3 weeks! lol it very rare you find an employee this dedicated to the care of fish, but there are some out there! I also know she has maltiple tanks her self and last time i chatted with her she personally had 2 bettas and was looking at a third, also theyve gotten slightly larger cups recently and they are all kept spot less and quite full and non of the fish appeard to have ich, fungus or finrot!!

That is so great… we need more people like that in pet stores.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

Yeah, unfortunately I would take whatever the pet store employees say with a grain of salt. Some can surprise you and be knowledgable and some know nothing and prance around THINKING they do. Listen to what they say, and then go do research to be sure if they are right or not. Hehe.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #9 
turtle10

True, you never know how knowledgeable they really are.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yep, cories are schooling fish and are much happier in groups of 4 or more, which would also mean that they need a 10 gallon or larger tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote