Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #1 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Angry Why wont my tank cycle!!!!

Ok i have 2 5 gallon tanks, that have been cycling for 2 months, my bettas from aquabid come in a weeks time.
1 of my tanks have fully cycled where as the other is stuck at nitrite 0.5!
im to pissed to check the ammonia, this tank has yet to spike from what i have seen, and its been stuck at 0.5 for the past 3+weeks! wtf am i doing wrong, i add ammonia drops every so many days same with the other tank and still stayes the same. I tested it and it stayed at 0.0 for 2 mins out of 5 mins then all of a sudden went to 0.5 >.< The tank has been cloudy for a month and has yet to go down where has the other one had its bactiera bloom and went crystal clear in the matter of a couple days >.< im soo pissed what do i do if it doesnt get cycled in the next week!!!!
It also pisses me off cause my axolotl tank has been setup less then a month and already has its nitrite spike and the ammonia is going down. why is this one such a late bloomer. please help. the temp is between 76-80 there is a bubbler and a air filter in it, it gets treated the exact same as the other tank. any advice to speed it up or anything would be soo helpful thanks!
( sorry on all the spell fails and use of language im just getting soo mad now! )
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #2 
TXsouthrngrl

I had some unexpected fish show up at my house once from a friend who couldn't keep them. I didn't want to put them in my tank as I had no idea of their care so I had to quickly set up a tank. Of course it was cloudy because it wasn't cycled and someone told me to throw a couple of handfuls of gravel from my cycled tank in it. The next day it was clear. I've used this method a couple of times on my own tanks in the past as well as on a friends and it really helped.

You could also try switching filters between the two.

Last edited by TXsouthrngrl; 03-02-2011 at 02:21 PM.
TXsouthrngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 
scootshoot

The gravel technique mentioned by TXsouthrngrl definitely works. Took a couple handfuls from my cycled 5 and added it to my 14 gallon, worked great!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
TXsouthrngrl

Yep, it's a real time saver. Just make sure that which ever you move...gravel or filter, to immediately put it in the other tank. Those little boogers will start dying even after only being out of the water for a few minutes.

And I know your just doing your tanks but if your ever trying to help a friend, just fill up a container or baggie with some of your tank water and throw the gravel or filter in it. That way it last during transport.

Last edited by TXsouthrngrl; 03-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Is there a way i can put the gravel in without it being with the other gravel? i think putting white and sky blue gravel in a tank that is lime green and black gravel miight clash lol!!! can i do the nylon thing or?
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #6 
TXsouthrngrl

I've never tried it but I would think you could. I normally use brown so I've never had that problem.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 
TXsouthrngrl

OR, I just thought of this, put it in the bottom of your filter. That way it wont get mixed up with your other gravel but the "good guys" will still get into your tank. Then you can always take it out later.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 
Pekemom

The nylon thing will work great, too. I've used it before. I took two large handfuls of gravel and put them in two pieces of nylon stockings, tied in knots at each end and tossed them in the tank. That way the gravel won't get mixed in with your existing substrate - but you'll speed up the cycle!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #9 
Thunderloon

Or you can just stir up the bottom gravel in the working tank, siphon some water out, add that water to the other tank then stir up its bottom gravel and wait a day.

Have you tested the nitrATE of the tank you feel is stalled? If the nitrATE is too high the bacteria get kinda constipated.

Stop adding ammonia to it.

Was your start-up water distilled/RO/Softened?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #10 
baylee767

Oh, you could just bury the gravel you're adding! That's what I'm planning to do when I re-do my tank, and it will hide the gravel as well as add the becateria.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, not working, please help